Wireless recharging

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
this sounds interesting IF it works. its re-exploiting Tesla again (he was a genius) and is bound to have millions of uses outside and ipod or a laptop.. i have a power pylon beside me... mmm.. i wonder could i tap into that for free ... likely not of course

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    would probably give everyone cancer or something.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It's about time we had something like this. I don't know how it could possibly work though because wireless technology is generally quite unstable and I don't know how a charger would work with a varying strength signal. Also there's no ideas about what kind of interference such devices might cause with TVs, phones or computers. If I put an electric cable next to a co-ax cable going to my TV it makes the screen go a bit fuzzy.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

There have been lawsuits about cows getting cancer from high voltage wires. Now we're going to be deliberately shaking stuff at 6.4MHz... kinda scary considering.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Sweet. This is long overdue.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Is it just me, or is this technology already out. I've heard of all kinds of things being charged this way. Heck! The EV1 Electric car charged through this technology. Is there some breakthrough I am missing? Can we finally deliver the current necessary to run devices not just charge batteries? That was Tesla's big problem too and I don't think these guys solved it. He found that in order to broadcast useful amounts of current, you would have to build a horrendously powerful antenna that was more of a problem that a solution.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    My braun toothbrush recharges with a contact free charger that works by induction.

Getting this to work across several feet would be exciting.

Of course the efficiency would have to be good. Wouldn't want to use a lot of power to charge wirelessly.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

Is there some breakthrough I am missing? Can we finally deliver the current necessary to run devices not just charge batteries? That was Tesla's big problem too and I don't think these guys solved it. He found that in order to broadcast useful amounts of current, you would have to build a horrendously powerful antenna that was more of a problem that a solution.

I think the big deal here is about using non-radiative sources. The devices don't emit radiation so they don't require as powerful antennas. The waves stay on the source and just make big trails.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

if by everybody you mean MORE than the one in 3 people that are already likely to get it in their lifetime?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

its re-exploiting Tesla again (he was a genius)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

he was! if anyone's interested here's the wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_tesla

it's an entertaining read.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

if by everybody you mean MORE than the one in 3 people that are already likely to get it in their lifetime?

i dont know, i just remember reading somewhere that people who live near power pylon had a higher chance of developing cancer.