Apple's iPhone to arrive in early 2007 with 2MP camera

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer's much anticipated iPod cell phone will include a 2.0-megapixel digital camera when it arrives late first quarter or early second quarter of next year, according to a new report out of Taiwan.

The China Times said Thursday the device, which will merge traditional cellular capabilities with Apple's legendary iPod digital music player technology, has been finalized and released to manufacturing.

According to the report, Foxconn will begin delivering the phones to Apple out of its Fushikang manufacturing facility at run rate of 500,000 to 600,000 per month beginning in February.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker is said to have enlisted the help of several component suppliers to provide various aspects of the phone, including Foxconn subsidiary AlusTech, which will fabricate the digital camera module; Largan, which will supply the actual camera lens; and Micron, which will provide the CMOS image sensor.

Intel, Sharp, Tripod Technology, Broadcom and Sunrex are also said to be part of the mix, supplying the memory, LCM display, circuit board, baseband chip and keypad, respectively.

Apple will reportedly tap long-time iPod casing manufacturer Catcher Technology to mold and manufacturer the phone's exterior housing. In recent years, Catcher has supplied casings for Apple's aluminum iPod mini and, most recently, its second-generation clip-on iPod shuffle player.

Contrary to some earlier analyst claims, the report published Thursday indicates that the Apple-branded cell phone will initially be available in only a single model. Pricing information was not disclosed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    The Zune is brown!!!11 Like poo!!11
  • Reply 2 of 149
  • Reply 3 of 149
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess Foxconn don't know the meaning of NDA. Time to change manufacturers and sue them for the resulting delay.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    2 megapixels is about average right now, with "better" camera phones featuring 3+ megapixel cameras.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood

2 megapixels is about average right now, with "better" camera phones featuring 3+ megapixel cameras.

I don't see the iPhone having a camera at all, quality is far too poor for an Apple product.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    Oh God -- I hope this isn't true. I HATE camera phones. Just a really dumb concept. Instead why not concentrate on making a rock-solid phone with super long battery life, superior voice quality, and can hold a signal in an elevator or sub-basement?
  • Reply 7 of 149
    With the crappy optics you get in a fixed lens Cell phone camera, there isn't much value to adding megapixels. It just inflates the size of the images and takes up more space on your flash card. Two megapixels is PLENTY, unless you have a lens that is at least as good as a $99 cheap digital camera.

Now that it looks like we are getting more third party conformation on the iPhone, I want more info on the carrier issue. I'm sure this will be a GSM phone so that it has an international market, but will it be just an unlocked phone I can use with any GSM carrier (ie Cingular or T-mobile), or will I have to hook up with a specific carrier? Maybe Apple will become a MVO as a new carrier?

I'm hoping we have a simple unlocked GSM phone...

Lets get more info on the service side of things!
  • Reply 8 of 149
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobthenob

Oh God -- I hope this isn't true. I HATE camera phones. Just a really dumb concept. Instead why not concentrate on making a rock-solid phone with super long battery life, superior voice quality, and can hold a signal in an elevator or sub-basement?

probably because too much of america wants to say, "Look at that, so cool! *OMGOMGOMG*, lets take a PIXSHURE!"
  • Reply 9 of 149
    Quote:

snapping pics of your friends for display of who is calling, video chat, etc. could be reasons other than getting a grainy shot of that tourist trap you visited....
  • Reply 10 of 149
    Quote:

because the camera is a selling point for many teens, regardless of whether they actually use it or not... sad really.

Looking forward to see if apple can make it look good even with a clunky camera.
  • Reply 11 of 149
    Quote:

I'm not really a fan either.

However, a fairly large proportion of my friends use theirs (rather annoyingly) all the time, for them, a camera on the phone is a must.

Plus, if it films nice little quicktime movies too, and connects up to iPhoto and iMovie I'll be much more likely to use one than I do now.
  • Reply 12 of 149
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    5 posts at 10:40, lol
  • Reply 13 of 149
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Camera phones are great, oldones arent, but new ones with 3MP or more are brilliant. I cant see how the voice quality can get any better - mines perfect on phonesive used - and the signal is great too. This is in the UK. I know the US has piss poor mobiles...

edit: BTW - 2MP is a year or two old, they need 3mp at least in the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 149
    Quote:

Amen.
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins

I don't see the iPhone having a camera at all, quality is far too poor for an Apple product.

Then you really haven't used a recent camera phone. Some of the latest Nokias and SEs have superb cameras in them equal to low to mid range standalone cameras.

eg. See Cabel Sasser's review of the K790/K800 phone...

http://www.cabel.name/2006/11/review...son-k790a.html

That's a 3.2megapixel camera but even the recent P990 with 2megapixel camera was pretty good too.

Saying the quality is too poor never stopped Apple selling crappy 128kbps AAC songs on the iPod so a 2megapixel camera is more than fine.
  • Reply 16 of 149
    A camera, a phone and an iPod all in one? Interested. . .interested.

Put on a portable bidet, and I'm gettin' one!
  • Reply 17 of 149
    Quote:

Why not do BOTH. A decent camera, decent music player AND it being a good phone don't have to be mutually exclusive.
  • Reply 18 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revs

Camera phones are great, oldones arent, but new ones with 3MP or more are brilliant. I cant see how the voice quality can get any better - mines perfect on phonesive used - and the signal is great too. This is in the UK. I know the US has piss poor mobiles...

edit: BTW - 2MP is a year or two old, they need 3mp at least in the iPhone.

my d900 (3MP) still takes piss poor pictures.....
  • Reply 19 of 149
    i thought the same about the camera, that they're coming out with 3+ nowadays, but then I thought 2MP is fine for Multimedia messaging
  • Reply 20 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Why not do BOTH. A decent camera, decent music player AND it being a good phone don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Well so far cell phone manufacturers have managed to get at most two of these things right. If Apple gets all three right I'll get one. If they don't get the camera right... I don't care. I'd rather stick to my Nikon D200 anyways instead of shooting crappy sub par cell phone pictures.