AirPort card in MacBook C2D connection problems.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, this my current situation about my connection problems to my university wireless network:

1.) I get connected to 'wireless4owls'. This is Temple University's 802.11b wireless network provided by Verizon. It has 128bit 26 hex digits WEP encryption and has it's own proxy to the internet.

2.) I put my MacBook to sleep or by other means to disconnect from the wireless network.

3.) I wake my MacBook up and usually it would automatically reconnect me to 'wireless4owls' but doesn't happen.

4.) I attempt to reconnect manually then an error message: "There is an error joining the AirPort network 'wireless4owls'".

5.) This error persists and I won't be able to reconnect until approximately 1 hour has passed.

6.) I've talk to the Temple University computer services help staff and the Apple support on the phone. Both were stumped with no solution to this problem. This is after tries to reset the PRAM, check for HD errors, and delete the Preference files related to AirPort, and other basic AirPort troubleshootings.

Note: My MacBook is able to connect to my home network router (Linksys WRT54G v2.0) that has a 64bit 13 hex digits WEP encryption.