Upgrade Win XP to SP2 for Parallels?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Have an original (purcahse) copy of Win XP Prof from 2002 which has Service Pack 1. I can't seem to use it with Parallels which appears to require SP2. Is there some way to make an image/copy of the Win XP disk and replace the SP Files without having a Windows PC? I would need to do this all on my MAC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhedges

Have an original (purcahse) copy of Win XP Prof from 2002 which has Service Pack 1. I can't seem to use it with Parallels which appears to require SP2. Is there some way to make an image/copy of the Win XP disk and replace the SP Files without having a Windows PC? I would need to do this all on my MAC.

You can use it with Parallels but not Bootcamp. I'm using an SP1 disc with Parallels. If you needed to get SP2 for Bootcamp, you would have to modify the installer disc but I'm not sure how you'd do that. Since you own the XP disc legally, you'd be best downloading an SP2 disc from a torrent site and just using your legal SP1 serial.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Have you considered trying to Slipstream a bootable XP SP2 disc into Bootcamp. Basically taking the contents of you XP SP1 disc to hard drive, folding in SP2 data and then folding out a bootable disc?

Paul Thurrott's Windows Super Site (winsupersite.com) has an excellent tutorial with screenshots. Just Google (slipstream windows) and it is the first result that comes up
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmorales

Have you considered trying to Slipstream a bootable XP SP2 disc into Bootcamp. Basically taking the contents of you XP SP1 disc to hard drive, folding in SP2 data and then folding out a bootable disc?

Paul Thurrott's Windows Super Site (winsupersite.com) has an excellent tutorial with screenshots. Just Google (slipstream windows) and it is the first result that comes up

dmorales,

Thanks sounds like a plan.

Mhedges
  • Reply 4 of 5
    If you install SP1 in Parallels, couldn't you download all necessary updates to get to SP2?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

If you install SP1 in Parallels, couldn't you download all necessary updates to get to SP2?

I can't seem to get the XP Professional (SP1) to work with Parallels (1970 build). It goes through the "Windows Install" screens and then after a few minutes there is an "error" and the Virtual PC vanishes replaced by the Parallels "Settings" window. Is there some way to capture the "Installer Log" on the XP OS instal? Perhaps SP1 is not the issue.