Fundamental differences I'd like to see in future MBP gens.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Firstly, I'm just over a week now with my first ever notebook, Apple or otherwise. To say infatuated as a descriptor for my enthusiasm would be akin to saying 'pedestrian' when describing a Ferrari. I adore this machine and really do wish it included an Apple-branded finger upon which I could anoint a wedding ring. All this, however, is not savoured without challange: There all, shall we say, design 'choices' that I would prefer had been made differently.

Firstly, and most principally, I'm developing a real contempt for the hinge design Apple has so long favoured. For as much as this spectacular design gets right (namely simplicity, structural integrity and beauty), the limitations of the hinge to position the display back farther than, say, a 65 degree angle, is simply absurd. I find myself having to prop the base of the laptop on atop my belt rather than my lap in order to get an idea viewing angle. The cause for my having to do that? Perhaps my second largest complaint. The display's backlighting is remarkably uneven. As spectacularly bright as they've managed to make the display, it could definitely use a new means of backlighting, as well.

Secondly, there seems to be a structural goof made by Apple where the back of the display is concerned. In fairness, I should preface this criticism with the concession that most, if not all laptops currently have this flaw. Compression upon the top of the laptop when closed permits a surprising depression of the surface, and therefore the screen into the keypad. This may be less consequential than it seems, but it's a regrettable demonstration of potential frailty for such an otherwise solid-feeling machine.

Thirdly, it seems my dog loved my MacBook Pro too. Now, you might ask, "How couldn't she?" which I'd hardly have an argument for. The trouble, really, is less to do with her doe-eyed awe and more to do with my sweaters having equal adoration, and contributing just as much fluff and fiber. It seems as though my machine is a hair magnet, conjuring all sorts of dog hair, fluff, fibers and otherwise indiscernible nuisances to all of its pretty surfaces. I'm in constant battle with this perpetually-appearing bits, which cling everywhere from my quite-plastic keyboard to (and perhaps most infuriatingly) the little crevasse between my display and it's hinge.

My other complaints are quite minor. For instance, the latch can be quite frustrating to get it, and requires (sometimes) the use of my pinky finger to open. Replacing it with a magnetic latch seems obviously, as most people love to suggest, a very, very good idea. Also, the plastic (protective) ring that runs around the inside of the laptop is quite uneven and almost loose in places, leaving whatever metal edges are exposed to look quite jagged. The touch pad is (amazingly) too large for my liking. I find myself unable to rest my hands over the keyboard for fear of tripping up the pad with my thumb, and although I know the reasons for the increase in size and of the potential means to eliminate this problem, the pad still seems inordinately large.

Finally, the eject key is simply too sensitive. I find myself constantly hitting it when reaching for my delete key, and although that could be remedied by improved typing accuracy on my part (to an extent), it still seems silly that they didn't implement a simple 'hold' code to require, as I remember Macs requiring in the past, that the user hold the key for a few seconds in order for it to work.

Please add your criticisms and suggestions as well. Thank you for your patience in reading all of that, if anyone actually did.

Sincerely,

Ryan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,335moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

Firstly, and most principally, I'm developing a real contempt for the hinge design Apple has so long favoured. For as much as this spectacular design gets right (namely simplicity, structural integrity and beauty), the limitations of the hinge to position the display back farther than, say, a 65 degree angle, is simply absurd. I find myself having to prop the base of the laptop on atop my belt rather than my lap in order to get an idea viewing angle. The cause for my having to do that? Perhaps my second largest complaint. The display's backlighting is remarkably uneven. As spectacularly bright as they've managed to make the display, it could definitely use a new means of backlighting, as well.

I dislike the hinge for the viewing angle reason too. I also think this leads to more damage because people push it back further than it wants to go and it stresses th hinge. Someone at work has a powerbook that is about two years old and the display is wobbly (technical term).

I also agree on the uneven lighting. I've seen on the iMac that there seems to be 4 circular shapes behind the screen. Future OLED screens should solve this issue once and for all.

Quote:

Secondly, there seems to be a structural goof made by Apple where the back of the display is concerned. In fairness, I should preface this criticism with the concession that most, if not all laptops currently have this flaw. Compression upon the top of the laptop when closed permits a surprising depression of the surface, and therefore the screen into the keypad. This may be less consequential than it seems, but it's a regrettable demonstration of potential frailty for such an otherwise solid-feeling machine.

This is where the Macbook has an advantage because the keys are flat so the pressure is distributed more evenly but I certainly favoured my rugged 12" powerbook enclosure over the 15" one, which seemed to be quite flimsy.

Quote:

My other complaints are quite minor. For instance, the latch can be quite frustrating to get it, and requires (sometimes) the use of my pinky finger to open. Replacing it with a magnetic latch seems obviously, as most people love to suggest, a very, very good idea.

I think that they have the latch is because the magnet pulls the display down too tightly. This is ok for the flat Macbook keys but not the bevelled MBP keys so I imagine a key change would be needed too. I don't see a problem with it but some powerbook users prefer the MBP keys.

Quote:

Finally, the eject key is simply too sensitive. I find myself constantly hitting it when reaching for my delete key, and although that could be remedied by improved typing accuracy on my part (to an extent), it still seems silly that they didn't implement a simple 'hold' code to require, as I remember Macs requiring in the past, that the user hold the key for a few seconds in order for it to work.

I also miss the ability to push a pin in and force out the CD. Bad CDs happen and I hate having to force shutdown to get it out. I used to used the pin a fair bit with my old Macs and nothing bad happened.

My biggest hardware gripes include:

- not being able to open the Mac Mini easily

- the Mighty Mouse in its entirety

- slot loading drives, which are noisy, don't hold discs as well as trays and don't take non-standard discs

- I don't like that the iMac and Macbook don't have covers on the cameras

- I don't like that Apple can't use standard PC GPUs
  • Reply 2 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Marvin,

Have you much experience with tray drives? While I've not much experience with the slot drives (this is my first mac portable in 10 years), I have two pc laptops at work with the tray drives and they're falling apart. I'm hoping the slot drive works out better.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I dislike the hinge for the viewing angle reason too. I also think this leads to more damage because people push it back further than it wants to go and it stresses th hinge. Someone at work has a powerbook that is about two years old and the display is wobbly (technical term).

I also agree on the uneven lighting. I've seen on the iMac that there seems to be 4 circular shapes behind the screen. Future OLED screens should solve this issue once and for all.

This is where the Macbook has an advantage because the keys are flat so the pressure is distributed more evenly but I certainly favoured my rugged 12" powerbook enclosure over the 15" one, which seemed to be quite flimsy.

I think that they have the latch is because the magnet pulls the display down too tightly. This is ok for the flat Macbook keys but not the bevelled MBP keys so I imagine a key change would be needed too. I don't see a problem with it but some powerbook users prefer the MBP keys.

I also miss the ability to push a pin in and force out the CD. Bad CDs happen and I hate having to force shutdown to get it out. I used to used the pin a fair bit with my old Macs and nothing bad happened.

My biggest hardware gripes include:

- not being able to open the Mac Mini easily

- the Mighty Mouse in its entirety

- slot loading drives, which are noisy, don't hold discs as well as trays and don't take non-standard discs

- I don't like that the iMac and Macbook don't have covers on the cameras

- I don't like that Apple can't use standard PC GPUs

The hinge design (internal) that Apple's laptops use is a big advantage for them - internal hinges are MUCH more durable overall - ask any network admit who's been burned by field units where the plastic-covered external hinges just snap.

I do prefer the MacBook Pro keys to the MacBook's and would not want them changed. Having said this, concerns regarding the tightness of a magnetic seal could be solved by placing a simply 1-2mm rim around the display.

I disagree with everyone who considers the tray drives entirely superior, but absolutely agree that a pin eject needs to be returned. I nearly got burned with my Mini over an unejectable disc.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Have you much experience with tray drives? While I've not much experience with the slot drives (this is my first mac portable in 10 years), I have two pc laptops at work with the tray drives and they're falling apart. I'm hoping the slot drive works out better.

I've always used tray loaders and never had a problem. As soon as I got my slot loading Mini, I went out and bought a tray loading LG drive.

I haven't had all that many problems with slot loaders but I haven't had many optical drive problems in general but the problems I've had were on those drives. Some discs would slip inside the drive and not read properly, I guess the grabber wasn't working too well. I've also had discs stuck inside. The thing about a tray is that if you cut the power, you can always pull the drive open manually. Discs are near impossible to get out of a slot loader if you can't get it out with software.

This mainly annoyed me if I left a CD in after shutting the machine down. With my external LG drive, I just hit the eject but with my Mini slot loader, I have to boot the whole machine up, eject and shut it down again. The fact they don't come with physical eject buttons is the biggest problem there.

If Apple put eject buttons and the pin force eject back onto their slot-loaders then I probably wouldn't have an issue with them besides the noise. Trays are much quieter because they are sealed more tightly. I can't even watch a DVD in my Mini internal drive because it's so noisy.

If trays are so bad then why do pretty much all PCs use them, all the consoles use them, all the home dvd players etc use them? The only other mainstream use of slot drives I've seen is in car stereos and I think it's ok to use them there but I don't like them used anywhere else.

Quote:

The hinge design (internal) that Apple's laptops use is a big advantage for them - internal hinges are MUCH more durable overall - ask any network admit who's been burned by field units where the plastic-covered external hinges just snap.

After using an old style powerbook with a tight hinge, I'd be inclined to agree because it felt like I was going to snap it when moving it. But I think that the Apple design stresses the hinge more when you push it to its limit because it has more leverage. Maybe they need some sort of mechanical stop in place to prevent any stress on the hinge itself. If it was possible to allow it to be pushed back all the way the that would be even better. How cool would it be if they made it possible to lay out horizontally. You could hang it on a wall or lay it out at a business meeting so people wouldn't have to hunch over the display.

Quote:

I do prefer the MacBook Pro keys to the MacBook's and would not want them changed. Having said this, concerns regarding the tightness of a magnetic seal could be solved by placing a simply 1-2mm rim around the display.

A rim might not solve the issue if enough pressure is applied to the back of the display, especially on the 17" model. Plus, Apple like to say about how thin their machines are so I reckon they'd be against it. Maybe if Apple designed a trackpad section that flipped over onto the keyboard so that it made the entire surface complately flat. This would be held in place magnetically.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Excellent points. I'm a bit worried about the keyboard on the MacBook that is on its way to me. I like to work in dim lighting...It seems without bevels that will be annoying me. Will report back on this topic.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I've always used tray loaders and never had a problem. As soon as I got my slot loading Mini, I went out and bought a tray loading LG drive.

I haven't had all that many problems with slot loaders but I haven't had many optical drive problems in general but the problems I've had were on those drives. Some discs would slip inside the drive and not read properly, I guess the grabber wasn't working too well. I've also had discs stuck inside. The thing about a tray is that if you cut the power, you can always pull the drive open manually. Discs are near impossible to get out of a slot loader if you can't get it out with software.

This mainly annoyed me if I left a CD in after shutting the machine down. With my external LG drive, I just hit the eject but with my Mini slot loader, I have to boot the whole machine up, eject and shut it down again. The fact they don't come with physical eject buttons is the biggest problem there.

If Apple put eject buttons and the pin force eject back onto their slot-loaders then I probably wouldn't have an issue with them besides the noise. Trays are much quieter because they are sealed more tightly. I can't even watch a DVD in my Mini internal drive because it's so noisy.

If trays are so bad then why do pretty much all PCs use them, all the consoles use them, all the home dvd players etc use them? The only other mainstream use of slot drives I've seen is in car stereos and I think it's ok to use them there but I don't like them used anywhere else.

I've not much experience with the slot loaded optical drives. Perhaps it will disappoint me as I use it more. So far I'm happy. It is a bit noisy but the tray drives on my laptop pcs are noisy too. Just maybe less so. The problem I've had with trays is the break as well. May the external ones you've used are of better quality than the ones installed on my laptops at work.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The drive hasn't caused me any problem so far and has not been noisy at all, though I don't have much of a problem even if it does make some noise. And the fact that the drive and it's insert/eject mechanism are the first things that people notice when they see my notebook (with awe, I might add), it works for me.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Nothing comes close to the noise generated by the tray-loaded drive in the first iMac.

That said, the noise in my MacBook Pro doesn't bother me, what DOES bother me is that it feels like it has to spin up every time I wake up my computer.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I just wanted to point out that, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the PS3 has a slot-loading drive.

I figure Sony might've gone this route to keep UMDs out, but I'm not sure if I'd witnessed that or not. Seemed like an odd choice to me.

I'm less concerned over-all with the type of optical drive in my machines, and much more concerned with the performance and longevity. The slot-loaders are certainly more impressive to witness (the sight of one working nearly blew my poor grandmother away, for instance), but I second the motion of whoever complimented tray drives on the ability to they have to be opened manually.

Frankly, it seems like Apple's move to slot-loaders on all but their Pro line is another move to centralize repairs to their products and encourage more AppleCare sales. A fuck-up with my Mini, for example, was the only reason I bought AppleCare for that product.

As for the point someone made about having a cover for the MacBook line's iSights (and presumably that of the iMac as well), do you say that because you want the device protected, or because you're camera shy and get bugged out by it?

I've heard some people are using stickies to cover theirs up which, to me, seems a touch absurd. To each their own, I suppose.

Personally, I'd like the option to order a MacBook WITHOUT an iSight, seeing as I work for the Government. No Government building will permit my laptop in as a result. Thankfully I don't have a need to bring my own laptop to work, but if I did? It'd keep me from buying this product.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I just wanted to point out that, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the PS3 has a slot-loading drive.

I figure Sony might've gone this route to keep UMDs out, but I'm not sure if I'd witnessed that or not. Seemed like an odd choice to me.

It seems so:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlaySta...-31355103.html

I never knew that. Slot-loaders are certainly quicker to put discs into but I can see it causing problems. How many families will have young kids who like to push pennies into slots? Of course those same kids might do stuff to trays that pop out.

Quote:

Frankly, it seems like Apple's move to slot-loaders on all but their Pro line is another move to centralize repairs to their products and encourage more AppleCare sales. A fuck-up with my Mini, for example, was the only reason I bought AppleCare for that product.

I wouldn't like to get the tray loaders that come with the pro machines though. The G5 I use has a very flimsy tray on it. The external drive I use at home has quite a solid tray. For a lot of the parts on the pro machines, I'm quite disappointed. The sound quality from even an iMac is far better than from a G5 tower.

Quote:

As for the point someone made about having a cover for the MacBook line's iSights (and presumably that of the iMac as well), do you say that because you want the device protected, or because you're camera shy and get bugged out by it?

Yup, camera shy but mainly uncomfortable when I know a camera is looking at me. Build to order would be a good idea. I'd be interested to know how much it adds to the price of a macbook.