Can someone explain this to me?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
just saw this on good old youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FMDyfAY1TI

can someone see if they can get it to work? im not so interested in the animation he's got going but how to get the screensaver working as the desktop image. i know it says its in leopard, but im not so sure. if you do can you let everyone know so we can show off.

cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

just saw this on good old youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FMDyfAY1TI

can someone see if they can get it to work? im not so interested in the animation he's got going but how to get the screensaver working as the desktop image. i know it says its in leopard, but im not so sure. if you do can you let everyone know so we can show off.

cheers

From the comments under the video:

Quote:

Go to terminal and type:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/S creenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

• Reply 2 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

im not so interested in the animation he's got going but how to get the screensaver working as the desktop image. i know it says its in leopard, but im not so sure.

This is something available from the Jaguar era. You have just to do what audiopollution suggested.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

From the comments under the video:

doesnt work ive tried it, sorry should have made it more clear.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    How do I undo it once it's enabled?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Um.. it definitely works..

You can kill the process to stop it.. either through terminal or Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

Um.. it definitely works..

You can kill the process to stop it.. either through terminal or Activity Monitor.

It stops when you quite terminal.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    There's a shareware app out that can make any screen saver your background without going into the terminal, can't remember the name right now, unfortunately...it was neat but used up a nice chunk of my CPU % so I uninstlalled it. A beefier CPU should have no problem with it, I think. (1ghz G4)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster

There's a shareware app out that can make any screen saver your background without going into the terminal, can't remember the name right now, unfortunately...it was neat but used up a nice chunk of my CPU % so I uninstlalled it. A beefier CPU should have no problem with it, I think. (1ghz G4)

Shareware = not free. Why would you pay for that when you can do that for free?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Shareware = not free. Why would you pay for that when you can do that for free?

For those who don't know about the terminal method, I didn't....\
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Screensaver-as-desktop got old pretty fast for me.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    so it does work? i copied and pasted it in to terminal and it didnt work.

-bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/S: No such file or directory

thats what i get when i put it in
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

so it does work? i copied and pasted it in to terminal and it didnt work.

-bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/S: No such file or directory

thats what i get when i put it in

Of course it does not work that way. The text you copied had the word "ScreenSaverEngine.app" broken in two parts, extending accros two lines. You have to correct first that, and then re-enter the command. The system cannot guess, it wants exact statements without random carriage returns in between, which are interpreted as your command to the system to execute what you typed.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Of course it does not work that way. The text you copied had the word "ScreenSaverEngine.app" broken in two parts, extending accros two lines. You have to correct first that, and then re-enter the command. The system cannot guess, it wants exact statements without random carriage returns in between, which are interpreted as your command to the system to execute what you typed.

alrite sorry ive never used terminal before and caused you an inconvenience by having to put it right for me. jesus...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

alrite sorry ive never used terminal before and caused you an inconvenience by having to put it right for me. jesus...

No problem. The terminal is a wonderful application and it is useful to learn how to use it, but you have to be careful because it is a very powerful tool, capable to destroy the whole system if you run with the appropriate privileges. So, in general do not enter passwords in the Terminal unless you know what you are doing. Same thing applies for the rest of the system of course.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Isn't it possible to quit the Terminal but still have the process carry on in the background?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

Isn't it possible to quit the Terminal but still have the process carry on in the background?

Sure.

Code:

nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background & >/dev/null

• Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Sure.

Code:

nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background & >/dev/null

brilliant thanks very much