G4 Mac Mini Into 1366x768 HDMI Port?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was thinking of using my mac mini through my LCD TV due to space constraints. My kit is as follows;

- I have an LG 32LC2DB which has a single HDMI port (no DVI)

- The above screen has a resolution of 1366*768

- My Mac mini is the 1.42GHz G4, upgraded to 1Gb of RAM

My question is, will the Mac mini look ok on the screen, and can I get the mac mini to run at 1366x768? Any practical tips and advice gratefully received. I am also interested in the best cabling options. I know it won't look as good as 1680x1050 on my 20" LCD, but will it do as a day to day internet machine?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable. Image quality will be whatever your TV is capable of; the signal is digital, so the Mac mini doesn't have a negative effect on image quality.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the quick response. Any idea what the difference is between a "DVI-I to HDMI" cable and a "DVI-D to HDMI" and what is best for the Mac mini?

I was a little concerned by this review of a cable at the apple store (not that I would pay apple stroe prices for that cable!) - see here. I am not entirely sure how informed this reviewer is, but could is VGA a better option than HDMI, and is the resolution thing workable? Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    DVI-I is a combined port for both VGA and DVI-D. This is what the Mac mini uses.

The review seems to indicate problems with that particular TV set, not with the Mac mini. A VGA connection is analog and therefore requires two conversions (digital to analog to digital), both of which lose quality. It's possible, but it's a subpar solution.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/secr...index.php?pf=1 could be of some help, too.