Page Numbers for Threads

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I notice that the menu showing threads in a forum lists page numbers, whenever a thread exceed one page. Handy for threads with few pages. When a thread gets long, there isn't room for all the page number, so we get the first few pages and the last page. Not so handy if a newcomer wants to start on the third or fourth page from the end of a very long thread. It is not listed, so these last several pages must be accessed in several steps.

Pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 are rarely accessed in a long thread, I would guess. So why not show something like this:

(First page . . . 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)

A newcomer could jump in anywhere near the end to get the gist of the discussion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'm curious how many nester quotes this program will make...

<cute, but deleted. audiopollution.>

Answer: 27
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I'm curious how many nester quotes this program will make...

Answer: 27

• Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

I notice that the menu showing threads in a forum lists page numbers, whenever a thread exceed one page. Handy for threads with few pages. When a thread gets long, there isn't room for all the page number, so we get the first few pages and the last page. Not so handy if a newcomer wants to start on the third or fourth page from the end of a very long thread. It is not listed, so these last several pages must be accessed in several steps.

Pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 are rarely accessed in a long thread, I would guess. So why not show something like this:

(First page . . . 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)

A newcomer could jump in anywhere near the end to get the gist of the discussion.

I'll sort something out.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    That is a problem with phpBB and others also. There is no way to jump to the middle, or to leap ahead by 5 or so pages.

I think it should always show the first, last and a window of 5 to 10 on either side of where you are.

1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 57 58