I need opinions please.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iMac G4 with 768mb of ram. Im in the market for a macbook, so i can give my iMac to my mom. Is 512 on a Core Duo going to be as fast as my G4 with 768? My G4 does everything I need to do, usually safari, aim, itunes, and mail. I can upgrade to a gig of ram in the macbook for like 150, or I can get 3 yeas of applecare. This is my problem. Is 512 going to run windows? I would like to have a gig, and the apple care but can only afford one (buying GTO ) What should I do? Thanks in advance guys, you know your stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326

I have an iMac G4 with 768mb of ram. Im in the market for a macbook, so i can give my iMac to my mom. Is 512 on a Core Duo going to be as fast as my G4 with 768? My G4 does everything I need to do, usually safari, aim, itunes, and mail. I can upgrade to a gig of ram in the macbook for like 150, or I can get 3 yeas of applecare. This is my problem. Is 512 going to run windows? I would like to have a gig, and the apple care but can only afford one (buying GTO ) What should I do? Thanks in advance guys, you know your stuff.

Though I have not used a macbook, I am on a macbook pro but still I would suggest that you get 1GB RAM for now and you have upto 1 year to add apple care so hopefully you will be able to do so in the first year, just my opinion. With so many new apps and utilities, I won't be surprised if you do need 1GB RAM so it is better to have that for now. You have 3 months of telephone support and then 1 year of limited warranty so just add apple care then.

Another thing, I have read and heard, is you buy on american express, they extend Apple's warranty from 1 year to 2 years. You might want to call American express for that. If that is the case, if you have one, buy o that, that way, once your first year is complete, any problems, american express will take care of it. I found out about this 1 week after I had bought my macbook pro C2D otherwise I would have done that. Now I will buy the apple care at some point within the first year.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you plan to dual boot Windows then 512 will work ok but not if you will use Parallels. In both cases I'd still recommend the 1GB Ram. As mentioned, you can buy Applecare later on.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    its looking like 1gb of ram, and apple care later on.

I hope the macbook is worth it.