XServe RAID Overdue for a New One?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looking at possibility of getting a new XServe RAID, but it seems it's a bit "long in the tooth." For example, it uses Fibre Channel 2Gbit instead of 4GB. From what one person told me, the ATA drives work because when their raided together, they max out the RAID controller. So there's no need for SATA II drives.

Seems like they need to upgrade to 4Gbit with RAID controllers that can handle the faster SATA II drives. Also, they need to be at 750 GB per drive. Right now it's 500 GB.

Or am I up in the night about all this? Anything in the rumor mill?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    No rumors that I know of.

4Gb Fibre should be automatic as it's barely more expensive than 2Gb at the HBA level.

Apple should move to a SAS backbone that supports SATA as well. That way you can tier the storage right in the Array.

750GB drives would be nice as well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I agree; it should be a SAS backplane and a SAS connection to the Mac. But nobody knows if/when Apple will upgrade the RAID.

Can you imagine how much Apple (or any major vendor) would charge for a 750GB ADM? The raw drives are expensive enough.

BTW, when you buy a few TB of storage from HP, it comes with a free server:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...9-3232017.html

So maybe the replacement for Xserve RAID should not just be another RAID array.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I think they're just waiting on price. Right now you can get an Xserve RAID with 2TBs (without Xserve RAID hardware pricing) for $600.00!