Need your help/advice (Kbd & Mouse)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,



I've been trying to find a good kbd & mouse combination for the Mac. I'm a heavy user (typing about 8-9 hours a day) so I need something comfortable and the Apple Keyboard just doesn't cut it (for me, what about you?). I've bought the S530 from logitech but the wirelss keyboard is lagging a small bit so I've decided that I'm going corded keyboard (not sure if other keyboards experience this really small milisecond lag but it just ticks me off). So my requiremetns for a mouse are:

1. Laser

2. 2 programmable buttons (I'll be using them for expose)

3. 2 button mouse

4. Scroll wheel/ball

5. Supported on the Mac (ie there is software to customise the buttons)



My keyboard requirements are:

1. Comfy

2. No lag (I'm a bit concerned about milisecond lag, it just annoys me)

3. Supported on the Mac (ie has the Command button, Option etc)



I've looked mainly into Logitech and Microsoft hardware but all of them are not supported (the latest microsoft mouse (Wireless Laser Mouse 8000); or the Logitech MX Revolution (apparently has problems with OS X 10.4.8)). Any suggestions for a keyboard or a mouse? Doesn't have to be from the manufacturer... What are you guys using?



Many thanks,

g



PS. I've looked at the Wireless Mighty Mouse but the ergonomics of my current corded mighty don't impress my hands that much.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    Here









    Hi Ireland,



    You probably didn't read my post. I said that I just got that keyboard & mouse and the kbd just feels cheap and most importantly it lags with a few milisecond which is so annoying after a few minutes.



    Many thanks,

    g
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gamehack


    I've been trying to find a good kbd & mouse combination for the Mac. I'm a heavy user (typing about 8-9 hours a day) so I need something comfortable and the Apple Keyboard just doesn't cut it (for me, what about you?). I've bought the S530 from logitech but the wirelss keyboard is lagging a small bit so I've decided that I'm going corded keyboard (not sure if other keyboards experience this really small milisecond lag but it just ticks me off). So my requiremetns for a mouse are:



    1. Laser

    2. 2 programmable buttons (I'll be using them for expose)

    3. 2 button mouse

    4. Scroll wheel/ball

    5. Supported on the Mac (ie there is software to customise the buttons)



    Razer Pro|Click 1.6. I'm going for that at some point. My old MX310 is still in perfect health so I find it hard to justify a new mouse purchase.

    It's not a laser mouse, which run at 2000dpi, but the last generation of non-laser mice, which run at 1600dpi. I think anyone will be very hard pressed to feel a difference between those two.

    It's marketed for pro use, Photoshop, etc., and its sister model Diamondback, styled differently but essentially the same mouse, is a top end gaming mouse and does not have the OS X drivers that the Pro|Click has.
    Quote:

    My keyboard requirements are:

    1. Comfy

    2. No lag (I'm a bit concerned about milisecond lag, it just annoys me)

    3. Supported on the Mac (ie has the Command button, Option etc)



    Happy Hacking Lite2. My keyboard for about two years now. I love it to death. It's a purpose built weapon for typing. I would add a separate function key row which would also make it a nice gaming keyboard, but that's about it.



    (No command and option key logos, but no Windows logos either. It's built for all operating systems. Physical switches behind a small hatch at the back of the keyboard lets you flip the locations of the two buttons to correspond to either Windows or Mac key order, and decide how the Delete and Backspace keys behave.)



    I had exactly the same impressions as you did about the Logitech desktop; great looks but the keyboard felt nasty, worse than a $10 Labtec beside it (actually, that $10 Labtec beat most of the keyboards, even expensive ones, at the store on typing feel. I blame the average consumer, they just don't give a crap about feel and ergonomics of what they buy).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon


    [snip]



    Thanks a lot for your advice! I'm quite intrigued by the Razer mouse and the Kbd! The only thing which I'm not sure about the kbd is the control key... everything else should be fine Is it actually easy to access the control key when using key combinations? Thanks!



    g
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gamehack


    Thanks a lot for your advice! I'm quite intrigued by the Razer mouse and the Kbd! The only thing which I'm not sure about the kbd is the control key... everything else should be fine Is it actually easy to access the control key when using key combinations? Thanks!



    g



    It is quite a bit better than the standard location for control when touch typing. I don't think there is much of a difference when doing combinations with left hand and using mouse on right hand. If you use OS X 10.4, you'll be able to try the ctrl thing out by going to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys. Change Caps Lock key to Control. Disable original Control to force yourself to use the new one till you ingrain it. This setting makes my life a lot smoother when I switch from the HH keyboard to iBook's internal keyboard.



    The main selling points of this keyboard are the following:

    - no extra numeric pad/etc width enables the most ergonomic location for both mouse and keyboard

    - ctrl placement for use while touch typing

    - no accidental Caps Lock presses ever

    - esc placement (doesn't matter for most, but certainly matters for vim editor users like me)



    You won't go wrong with it. Feel, solidity of build, it's all there. I personally think it looks friggin' great as well, a sort of "zen" look coming from a purity of purpose in this age of peripherals whose form and blinkenlights attempt to mimic starships in hyperspace, but what do I know? Anyway, I have all black hardware so I have the black keyboard as well... there is a grey model, some reviews say white but what I can make out from the pics says it's probably light grey, not Apple white by any means.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon


    It is quite a bit better than the standard location for control when touch typing. I don't think there is much of a difference when doing combinations with left hand and using mouse on right hand. If you use OS X 10.4, you'll be able to try the ctrl thing out by going to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys. Change Caps Lock key to Control. Disable original Control to force yourself to use the new one till you ingrain it. This setting makes my life a lot smoother when I switch from the HH keyboard to iBook's internal keyboard.



    The main selling points of this keyboard are the following:

    - no extra numeric pad/etc width enables the most ergonomic location for both mouse and keyboard

    - ctrl placement for use while touch typing

    - no accidental Caps Lock presses ever

    - esc placement (doesn't matter for most, but certainly matters for vim editor users like me)



    You won't go wrong with it. Feel, solidity of build, it's all there. I personally think it looks friggin' great as well, a sort of "zen" look coming from a purity of purpose in this age of peripherals whose form and blinkenlights attempt to mimic starships in hyperspace, but what do I know? Anyway, I have all black hardware so I have the black keyboard as well... there is a grey model, some reviews say white but what I can make out from the pics says it's probably light grey, not Apple white by any means.



    Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm definitely going to get one of these this Christmas



    Regards,

    g
Sign In or Register to comment.