Leopard and CoreDuo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hey i have have a black macbook core duo..will this work with leopard 64bit when it comes out. this is comparing it to the 64bit of the core2duo's as well.

does this mean that to run leopard i need a whole new macbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It'll be 32-bit, but yes, it will work on Leopard. You do not need a new machine.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    almalm Posts: 111member
    yes.

no.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    so what do i miss out on in leopard with only 32bit?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Some performance, that's all.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    In certain applications only! "Regular" applications, like 95% of them, will never make use of the 64bit environment. Word or Excel or anything like that will not use it (who writes 5 GB word documents?). 3D software like Maya will use the 64bit support, but what percentage of regular users use that program?

So guest, you don't have to give your nice notebook away because all the applications you have right now will still work under Leopard - and 32bit processors will be supported for at least five more years.

Think of it like: Leopard and the C2D are prepared for those few applications that will actually make use of the enhanced memory space - if and only if they need it. Everything else is and will stay 32bit.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

In certain applications only! "Regular" applications, like 95% of them, will never make use of the 64bit environment. Word or Excel or anything like that will not use it (who writes 5 GB word documents?). 3D software like Maya will use the 64bit support, but what percentage of regular users use that program?

Intel 64 isn't just about "5 GB word documents"; it also adds more registers and can therefore have a performance improvement for apps that, technically, don't do anything in 64-bit size at all.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    When will Apple release a 64 bit version of their processor? Is it worth it to wait for them to come out?

I thought the Core 2 Duo was a 64 bit processor.

EDIT: Is the Core Duo 32 bit and the Core 2 Duo 64?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomster2300

When will Apple release a 64 bit version of their processor? Is it worth it to wait for them to come out?

I thought the Core 2 Duo was a 64 bit processor.

It is. The Core (1) Duo is not.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    So are the people with the single core duo having the heating problems? Did the C2D solve that problem?

Also, what about revisions? Has Apple revised their macbooks since initial release (I just don't want to go through the problems - I forgot to add loud cd-rom drive - that others keep complaining about).

Thanks for all the help so far guys!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomster2300

So are the people with the single core duo having the heating problems? Did the C2D solve that problem?

Also, what about revisions? Has Apple revised their macbooks since initial release (I just don't want to go through the problems - I forgot to add loud cd-rom drive - that others keep complaining about).

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

the core duo and core 2 duo have about the same heat levels, while the CD has less peformance. Some sources say that core 2 duo's are slightly cooler in most everday apps.

Yes, you know that new front page of the store, New Macbook Core 2 Duo? that's the 2nd and newest revision thats about 3 weeks old (i think). This newest revision is supposed to stop all the problems with the first macbooks, but I'm not sure how many people have received there macbook core2duo's yet, so we will have to wait a little longer to see if there ar any new probs or if any of the old probs stlll exist, or if they're perfect 8)
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Very good news indeed. Hopefully they turn out to be the best ones yet.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 = no heat problems so far. Nice machine!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Somewhat on topic... could iMovie and iDVD become 64 bit to speed up rendering, etc?