Network access password issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
HELP! We have small network of 3 G5 towers and have problems logging into one of the machines from the other two although the process works in reverse from the "rogue" machine. Keep getting the message "password incorrect" when logging in as registered user although the password IS correct! Anyone any ideas what may be happening here. Have tried changing the master password but to no avail. We have 2 machines running 10.3.9 and the "rogue" machine is running 10.4.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go insane.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Is personal file sharing turned on for that G5? Also, can you log in without a password? You can log into a machine with personal sharing turned on as a guest and you get access to the drop box.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Is personal file sharing turned on for that G5? Also, can you log in without a password? You can log into a machine with personal sharing turned on as a guest and you get access to the drop box.

Thanks for the reply. To answer: yes personal file sharing is switched on and no you cannot login without the password. Due to the material we exchange over this network the drop box option is OK but not ideal.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telekon

Thanks for the reply. To answer: yes personal file sharing is switched on and no you cannot login without the password. Due to the material we exchange over this network the drop box option is OK but not ideal.

Sorry, I meant logging in without a password to be the guest option not logging into a user account without entering the password. Did you say that logging in as guest and using the drop box works?

Did you try logging into the G5 using the short name and password for one of the accounts? Also try creating another account on the G5 and seeing if you can log in with those details - I think you have to enable the sharing for each account.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Sorry, I meant logging in without a password to be the guest option not logging into a user account without entering the password. Did you say that logging in as guest and using the drop box works?

Did you try logging into the G5 using the short name and password for one of the accounts? Also try creating another account on the G5 and seeing if you can log in with those details - I think you have to enable the sharing for each account.

Brilliant. Of course, the "short name" option.. (doh!) Works beautifully. Thank you so very much - my wife and family also thank you!