Master Password Not Working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a PowerBook G4 notebook from a friend. I wanted to change everything into my name, so I changed the account name, passwords, ect...

I read up on how to change the "short name" and in doing so I needed to unlock the File Vault. When i confirmed the unlock the computer restarted. When I tried to log back in it would not let me with either the new password or the old one.

So now I'm completely locked out and can't find a way to get back in.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Boot from the system CD and reset the password.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    That won't work if he is talking about the FileVault password.

If that is the case, you are screwed. Probably messing with the short name did it.

You will have to do a clean install if the master password is gone. Since the machine is new, that should have been done by the seller anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

That won't work if he is talking about the FileVault password.

Does it ask you for the master password at login when you use file vault? I thought that was only if you were manually accessing the home folder contents.

What I suspected may have happened is that the computer was set to auto login as one user. Then another account was made with a new short name. Then the file vault was unlocked using the Master password and the new account had a different one. When the machine rebooted, it would have gone to a login screen now that there are multiple users and the OP is trying to login using one of the master passwords, which are probably not the same as the login passwords.