eject stuck in eject position

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
as says the title. I was ripping a CD and my iBook spat it out without ripping it. after that I could not insert any CD or DVD. Feels partially blocked. help? bubble

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Try this restart whilst holding down either the mouse button or the eject key on the keyboard which should cause the drive to open and close fully and it should work correctly again.

Lets know what happens.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Try this restart whilst holding down either the mouse button or the eject key on the keyboard which should cause the drive to open and close fully and it should work correctly again.

Lets know what happens.

Didn't work. thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is there any kind of pinhole adjacent to the optical drive slot that you can push a paper clip into?

Optical drives are cheap nowadays, thank goodness. If it turns out to be busted, here are the instructions to install a new one:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo.../Optical-Drive
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Is there any kind of pinhole adjacent to the optical drive slot that you can push a paper clip into?

Optical drives are cheap nowadays, thank goodness. If it turns out to be busted, here are the instructions to install a new one:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo.../Optical-Drive

No pinhole next to drive slot. but thanks. I'll check out the new drive option.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I did some checking of info it now sounds more like the small plastic piece just inside the drive which guides the DVD/CD into the correct position has come loose or the spring which allows it movement has broken off. Both the plastic arm and spring are rather thin and can break at anytime.

I hope you get a better drive as the drives that original come in the ibooks are rather crappy matishita drives. Try and find a Pioneer drive which are much better and are fully supported via the OS X.4 system.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks, I'll check it out.