MS Remote Desktop Connection vs. Virtual PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am a switcher. I switched from running Virtual PC on my 800Mhz iMac to running MS Remote Desktop Connection. I have a cheap 733Mhz Compaq tower under my desk and it cost me less than the Virtual PC software.



Performance: I get much better performance running the PC over RDC on my iMac screen than I was ever able to achieve with Virtual PC. I use the PC for apps that are not available for the Mac and for me iMac + RDC + a cheap PC is a better solution than iMac + Virtual PC.



What do you think?



-Snowster

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Snowster:

    <strong>I am a switcher. I switched from running Virtual PC on my 800Mhz iMac to running MS Remote Desktop Connection. I have a cheap 733Mhz Compaq tower under my desk and it cost me less than the Virtual PC software.



    Performance: I get much better performance running the PC over RDC on my iMac screen than I was ever able to achieve with Virtual PC. I use the PC for apps that are not available for the Mac and for me iMac + RDC + a cheap PC is a better solution than iMac + Virtual PC.



    What do you think?



    -Snowster</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I'd say it's a damn good solution, especially since the 'puter cost less than VPC. Even if it cost a bit more, it's totally worth it. That give me an idea: I could do that with my GF's computer by hooking it to my ABS. Then I'd never have to use VPC again!



    You're new to the platform and you're already contributing good ideas! :cool: Welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Never even thought of it, as a matter of fact.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Of course, one is running an emulation which is costly and the other's just terminal service.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    [quote] You're new to the platform and you're already contributing good ideas! Welcome. <hr></blockquote>



    Sorry about using the term 'switch' a bit loose. What I meant was that I have switched from VPC to RDC. I have been using Macs for 15 years.



    -Snowster
  • Reply 5 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I do that wint my girlfriends PC all the time. anyone know if (since xp supports multiple logins or something like that...) if I could have my profile running while she used her profile at the same time?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Is there anyway to control a mac from a PC? [w/out timbuktu?]
  • Reply 7 of 19
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Snowster:

    <strong>



    Sorry about using the term 'switch' a bit loose. What I meant was that I have switched from VPC to RDC. I have been using Macs for 15 years.



    -Snowster</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Oh. Well, it's still a really good idea.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    This is interesting - I'm interest now - I may be able to scare up a cheap PC to run RDC - I was curious to know, how decent is the screen refresh rate using RDC vs. using Virtual PC? Is it snappy through the 100-base T ethernet?



    I had an idea - what if I was to get a gigabit ethernet card on the PC and then connect the PC directly to the gigabit ethernet equipped Mac (and then use Airport for Internet access), would speed the screen refresh up even more (or is this not necessary)?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Can you run games with Remote Desktop?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace:

    <strong>Can you run games with Remote Desktop?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    no.

    videos you can sorta run if you make it thumbnail sized, and sound is delayed so forget about games.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Even with gigabit Ethernet!? :eek:



    How about TCP/IP over FireWire 2?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    damn... no support for WinME or other Windozes
  • Reply 13 of 19
    i'll have to dig up the link from the Microsoft site, but there's a tech bulletin from MS that

    RDC will not work with Dual processor macs



    this is a Microsoft crippling, not an apple issue, apparently



    so there may be folks for whom RDC won't help yet



    &lt;off to find the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/MISC/RDC.asp"; target="_blank">link</a>&gt;



    [ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 19
    i'll have to dig up the link from the Microsoft site, but there's a tech bulletin from MS that

    RDC will not work with Dual processor macs



    this is a Microsoft crippling, not an apple issue, apparently



    so there may be folks for whom RDC won't help yet



    &lt;off to find the link&gt;
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,742member
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

    <strong>I do that wint my girlfriends PC all the time. anyone know if (since xp supports multiple logins or something like that...) if I could have my profile running while she used her profile at the same time?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I think only under Windows2000 Server.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

    <strong>Is there anyway to control a mac from a PC? [w/out timbuktu?]</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes. VNC. Of course, a fast connection between the two machines is always recommended.



    There's a good VNC server for OSX simply called "OSXvnc" and there are VNC clients available for Mac, Windows, Unix, and Linux.



    See some snapshots here:

    <a href="http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/screenshots.html"; target="_blank">http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/screenshots.html</a>;



    [ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 19
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,742member
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

    <strong>Is there anyway to control a mac from a PC? [w/out timbuktu?]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    VNC
  • Reply 18 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Would RDC work without delays in sound and make games possible if both machines had gigabit ethernet and were fast?



    This will be possible eventually right?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    bump.... any word on games?
Sign In or Register to comment.