.bin to video file?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
anyone know how to convert from .bin to a video file (e.g. .avi, .mpeg, .mp4 etc)?

i've been using handbrake, isquint and VLC (with no success) for all my conversion needs so far, but i just cant tackle the .bin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho

anyone know how to convert from .bin to a video file (e.g. .avi, .mpeg, .mp4 etc)?

i've been using handbrake, isquint and VLC (with no success) for all my conversion needs so far, but i just cant tackle the .bin

Usually you get a .bin/.cue pair of files. It is the video cd format and you can burn it straight to a CD and play it in a DVD player but the format often behaves oddly in DVD players like it will skip to the start randomly or show incorrect timing info. Movies used to come on CDs before DVD (remember Philips CDI?).

There are a few programs to convert the .bin file. VCD Gear is one of them but it always seems to give errors for me. The best tool I've used for this sort of thing is Gumby:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13964

Use the mpeg/VCD tool and then select the .bin file and then process it. It should extract a .mpeg.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cant find a single downloadable version of gumby. i tried vcd gear but just had no idea how to work it from the terminal.

i found that ffmpegx has an option to convert bin files, but it pops up asking me to register. how? i cannot find a single option in the program to register it, so even if i had the serial number, i dont know how.

any other suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    The gumby site seems to be offline. Here's a copy of it:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/257...y-50c.zip.html

type in the code and hit submit to start the download.

It's the VCD tab you want to use, not the bin tab. That's for something else.

Drag the .bin into the window and hit process. I think VLC plays .bin files but I still find it's best to convert to an mpeg.

VCD Gear has an OS X GUI somewhere but as I say, it's been pretty unreliable for me at conversions.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thanks marv