Hello! Should I buy the 23" or the 20"?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello my new friends,

I am a cinematographer and I work on the Giza plato in Egypt. I am flying to the US this christmas to give my mother a hug and pick up a macbook pro core 2 duo and either a 20" or 23" cinema display.

The issue here is not price... I need to be able to get the monitor back to egypt. I don't want to check it in my luggage, so i will need to carry it on.

What do you guys think... can i get away with carrying on a box as big as the 23" or should i just play it safe and go with the less satisfying (and not HD) 20"

Thanks!

Rian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
    • Height: 17.7 inches (45 cm)

• Width: 21.1 inches (53.6 cm)

• Depth: 7.3 inches (18.7 cm)

• Weight: 15.5 pounds (7.03 kg)

Pretty wide... a good 4" wider, and nearly 4" taller than my usual laptop carry-on bag. I'd double-check with the airline(s) on their carry-on restrictions. I seriously doubt the box it comes in will be within the limits, but you could repackage it if the display itself is small enough.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I love my 23". But the box is too big for carry-on, unless you can schmooze one of the attendants to house it in their private area. I have a box here and there's no way it will fit under a seat or in an overhead bin.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Having seen the 20" iMac, I think that size is enough. Don't even consider the HD issue. The pixel spacing is the same, which means the quality for a given viewing distance is the same. Some pixels in an HD movie will be averaged due to the scaling but you really won't notice it at all.

However, check the size yourself with the airline. I wouldn't have thought you'd be allowed as much as a 20" for carry on luggage.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    This is the sort of reason I wish Apple didn't use such flashy packaging. It calls too much attention to itself.

I think the box is durable enough to check as luggage, though I would buy a piece of luggage big enough to fit the box and just check it, they are too big to be put in a carry-on.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    What about customs?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Place it inside another box (with padding) and check it with your other luggage.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    When they ship though, the brown box just has "ACI" as the return address, not "APPLE COMPUTER OMG THERE IS AN IPOD IN THERE"
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

When they ship though, the brown box just has "ACI" as the return address, not "APPLE COMPUTER OMG THERE IS AN IPOD IN THERE"

For me, this is only a the case with iPods. For my ACD and iMac, it was shipped with the retail packaging as the shipping box. As for the regular computers, I don't know, I had been buying the reconditioned ones. Those boxes were brown but did have a big Apple logo on the corner.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I work with video alot and I have a 20" iMac at work and a 23" Apple display at home. The 20" is great; sometimes I have lots of blanks space on the 23.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    hehe right on. Want to sell me your 23"?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Never! Blank space can always be filled with a variety of distractions!

Love both screens, but think you can do fine with the 20.

Gonna show us some of your nice photos from Egypt?