How do you remove classic? I never use it so I want to free up the disk space.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought I could just erase the volume with the OS X install disk but now I'm not so sure. If anybody has any links that list the steps to do this, please post them.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Clearing space?

Monolingual
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    An amply loaded Classic System Folder will occupy less than 400 MB. On most new systems, this is a drop in the bucket. If removing it will make a difference, then you need a new larger hard drive.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

An amply loaded Classic System Folder will occupy less than 400 MB. On most new systems, this is a drop in the bucket. If removing it will make a difference, then you need a new larger hard drive.

Your right but I have my HD partioned into 3 partitions. Classic is on one partion and it takes up several Gigs.

- Mark
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt

Your right but I have my HD partioned into 3 partitions. Classic is on one partion and it takes up several Gigs.

So you want to get rid of the classic partition. That's a different story altogether. I don't know if there are tools for the Mac to do this. I know that Bootcamp can make and delete partitions on the fly but I don't know if it will work with the partitions that Disk Utility has made. It would be pretty neat if it did.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Why not simply trash the OS9 system folder and Applications Folder? How more simple can you get than that? (While in OS X of course). Subsequently it won't be able to find an OS 9 system folder to boot into. You can always use the partition to store other files?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

So you want to get rid of the classic partition. That's a different story altogether. I don't know if there are tools for the Mac to do this. I know that Bootcamp can make and delete partitions on the fly but I don't know if it will work with the partitions that Disk Utility has made. It would be pretty neat if it did.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Just erase the partition with the disk utility app on the OSX partition, to get it really gone. Unless of course you have important file on that partition, then back them up first.