Briefly: Report claims Apple readying new 17-inch display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The latest Apple-centric report to cross the news desk over at DigiTimes claims the Mac maker is amongst several display manufacturers that will soon introduce a new 17-inch standalone display.

The Taiwanese publication cited industry sources Monday in saying "LCD vendors such as ViewSonic and Apple are set to launch 17-inch widescreen LCD monitors by year-end or the first quarter of 2007."

Those vendors expect 17-inch widescreen monitors to replace entry-level and middle-range 15-inch and 17-inch LCD monitors in the future, according to the report.

Prices for the new 17-inch widescreen displays are not expected to fetch a premium to 17-inch 4:3 aspect models due to more efficient panel cutting by makers, DigiTimes reported.

In support of the aforementioned claim, the publication also cited sources in saying a fifth-generation substrate from HannStar can be cut into fifteen 17-inch widescreen panels or fifteen 15-inch 4:3 conventional-sized panels.

Nevertheless, any move by Apple to reintroduce a 17-inch display would seem unusual given recent history. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company hasn't marketed a standalone 17-inch display since it began to phase out the 17-inch Studio Display in first half of 2004.

Since then, Apple has focused on high-definition models, introducing 23-inch and 30-inch HD models along the way. Its current Cinema Display line is comprised of a 20-inch model and two HD models, a 23 and 30-inch.

The last time Apple introduced new displays was in june of 2004, when it unveiled the 20-, 23- and 30-inch models in an aluminum design to match its professional desktop line of computers. The company reduced the cost of the displays several times (1, 2, 3) the following year but has since made no significant announcements related to display technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    new 'mac' coming....
  • Reply 2 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Care to give us your reason for saying that?

/are you hinting thinner iMac or what?
  • Reply 3 of 106
    Unless it's for a new MacBook Pro I don't see Apple doing this. You just can't have a good Mac experience on a monitor that small.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Care to give us your reason for saying that?

/are you hinting thinner iMac or what?

I think he's implying some sort of new mid range desktop, though I don't see much support for it either.
  • Reply 5 of 106
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Apple needs to re-release the entire display line dropping the 23" for a 24" and adding HDCP across the entire line.

Anyone that buys an Apple display today, they don't have HDCP, is tossing money into the trash can. You'll not be able to display HD content without HDCP. Apple should have fixed this long ago.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon

Apple needs to re-release the entire display line dropping the 23" for a 24" and adding HDCP across the entire line.

Anyone that buys an Apple display today, they don't have HDCP, is tossing money into the trash can. You'll not be able to display HD content without HDCP. Apple should have fixed this long ago.

However...by the time the protection is used, I've read 2010+, then the display would have already passed its effective life anyway in most cases.
  • Reply 7 of 106
    Tablet?

Or maybe a higher rez 17" MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Apple tablet, baby! Yeeeeeeeeeeehaw! Oogah! OOOGAH!
  • Reply 9 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Unless it's for a new MacBook Pro I don't see Apple doing this. You just can't have a good Mac experience on a monitor that small.

Wouldn't that depend on the monitor's resolution? The MacBook's resolution is 1280x800 on a 13" screen. Why couldn't Apple offer standalone monitors at 15.4 and 17", using the same resolution as the MacBook Pros, 1440x900 and 1680x1050? Dell's 17" XPS laptops use an even higher resolution of 1920x1200. I'm not suggesting or prognosticating that this will happen but Apple is famous for thinking outside the box and these hypothetical monitors would be a good example of that.
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Tell that to all the laptop users.

Although I've got to say, seeing that this report comes from DigiTimes means that it's probably BS anyway. DigiTimes seems to have a worse track record than MOSR.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    DigiTimes.

Moving on.
  • Reply 12 of 106
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    DigiTime's track record in terms of accuracy is horrible.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS

Tell that to all the laptop users.

Although I've got to say, seeing that this report comes from DigiTimes means that it's probably BS anyway. DigiTimes seems to have a worse track record than MOSR.

There are laptop users?

Notebooks have small screens because they have to be small to be portable, so that leads to compromises in productivity that is hopefully made up for by the increased mobility.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus

However...by the time the protection is used, I've read 2010+, then the display would have already passed its effective life anyway in most cases.

Are displays falling apart quicker now? My primary monitor was made in January 1999, my secondary, Oct 2001, and show no sign of falling apart any time soon. The only reason they might be replaced would be upgrade-itis, but I would probably give them to someone who might use it for another five years.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Has DigiTimes ever reported anything about Apple accurately?

I remember they reported on the 13.3 inch iBook going into production. But that was something like two or three years before the MacBook was released.

MOSR has a better track record than these guys.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Whether the article is correct or not, it is talking about standalone displays, not laptop panels. How one got from standalone to laptops is tortured.

DigiTimes is sometimes wrong, but they are sometimes right, more often than not actually. They aren't Macosrumors.

I can see this as a possibly. If the monitor is a low cost unit (for Apple anyway), it could complement the Mini. Giving a complete system from Apple at less than $1,000 for the first time in a while, not including educational pricing.

But, as was said, Apple should update their larger models with HDMI and HDCP. Monitors do last for much more than three years >No different that Tv's. But, they need larger models as well, that can easily be wall mounted.
  • Reply 17 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

Has DigiTimes ever reported anything about Apple accurately?

I remember they reported on the 13.3 inch iBook going into production. But that was something like two or three years before the MacBook was released.

MOSR has a better track record than these guys.

No, they don't.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    its for the mini so you can be all apple, and get rid of your pc connections. and give you isight

or perhaps for the mega iphone
  • Reply 19 of 106
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I suppose a 17" monitor would be cool if it rocked 1440x900 or higher.

But I personally just want a second price drop on the current monitors, a drop on the 20" would push me to buy it.

I think they should price them like this (prices in canadian dollars):

17": 299 (1440x900)

20": 599 (1680x1050)

24": 899 (1920x1200)

30": 2099 (2560x1600)

If they did that the 17s would fly off the shelves with mini owners and maybe macbook and 17" imac owners getting them too. The 20" would be in an ideal price point for a lot of people. I'd cave on the 20" but then let myself get suckered into the 24" because the student price would make it 799.99(hopefully 699.99).

And of course these monitors would be more expensive then most other companies offerings, which is what apple loves.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

its for the mini so you can be all apple, and get rid of your pc connections. and give you isight

or perhaps for the mega iphone

I agree, Apple is tired of Mac minis hooked up to Dell monitors.