MAC Pro or Wait?????????

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I am new to the insider, and I am considering buying the MAC PRO 2.66 or 3.0. However, I was wondering if I should buy the mac pro "quad or wait for the "OCTO Core" When it comes out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Buy what you need now, unless your need is in January. Then there will likely be new product or price adjustments. Maybe. If you're lucky.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Kewl,

I have the money for it now, how ever I can wait. I currently have the quick silver, yes it is slow but I am getting by 4 now. How, sure are you about January. ( I Know, as Sure as sure can be.) However, do anticipate them coming out with the OCT core then.

I'll bet the price will be out of this roof!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Unless you do a few specific tasks, you will note take much more advantage of an octo over a quad. In fact most users would not take advantage of a quad over a dual.

I have a 3 GHz Mac Pro and while I push it pretty hard and get it to redline sometimes, I wouldn't use the extra 4 processors in the Octo config. At least not now.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Ok, I will be using the unit for Video Editing and Music Production in Logic 7.2 and Protools. Will the OCTO Core effect the performance of the utilities?

Fly!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Wait till after MWSF.

If you need it now to make $$$ and you can't do without, then go ahead.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

Wait till after MWSF.

If you need it now to make $$$ and you can't do without, then go ahead.

Ted,

Kewl, I can wait.... Hopefully it is not going to cost out of the wazzzoooo!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    pretty sure before February we'll see the octo-core.

I look forward to replace my Quad G5.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flyguy4ya

Ok, I will be using the unit for Video Editing and Music Production in Logic 7.2 and Protools. Will the OCTO Core effect the performance of the utilities?

Fly!

FCP, Logic and ProTools are already "core-aware" apps, not completly optimized, but having more cores helps in some ways.

Will the octo Mac Pro be available early 2007? We all think so.

How much will it cost? If Apple doesn't change the enclosure or the cooling system, an octo 2.33 Mac Pro could cost (as little as) $3299, the chip bulk price is $851, the same as the 3.0GHz dual-core Xeon offered by Apple as BTO option for $800 ($2499 + $800 = $3299). The 2.66GHz quad-core Xeon is priced at $1172 ($321 more), so it would make the 2.66GHz octo Mac Pro at around $3999. Which would be a incredible bargain ($500 per 2.66GHz core). Those prices are guesses, we know Apple has a way to surprise us both ways...

Keep in mind that the 2.66GHz quad-core Xeon is hotter than any other Xeon (120W vs 80W) so having 2 of them may bring some changes to the cooling system of a Mac Pro (but maybe not, if the current one is early that capable).
  • Reply 9 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

You also need to take into consideration overall system bandwidth when talking about video. Your encoding speed is still limited by the read/write speed to your hard drive. If you are dealing with 30GB movies, it still has to read all 30GB off the hard drive. 8 processors make sense for 3D encoding because the content is being created. For content that is manipulated, 4 processors are usually enough. Also, as mentioned, Apple's video tools don't always run at full speed. It's so disappointing to see Final Cut only use 2 processors for some encoding jobs. I personally wouldn't hang off because even though it's only a month away until a possible new quad-core, the quad-cores are new chips and they will likely have incompatibilities with software like Parallels and Bootcamp. There should be updates soon enough but it may take a month or so to weed out any problems.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Buy or wait?

AAARRGGGHHHH!

Can we have a separate section of the forum for these questions, and have it automatically post the correct answer?

(Which is "if you want or need it now, but it now. If you don't, then wait")
  • Reply 11 of 19
    IT is definitely worth the wait for the new octo-core. The bone I have to pick is the limited capability and configuration options with graphic cards. Sure Quadro FX would be nice but why 7300 Gt/GS? How about 8800 GTX or ATi X1950. This could be a potetnial problem when the DX10 cards come out and APple is still stuck with last years cards. The tech is there but apple is not fast enough. They have kept their MAcbook/Macbook Pros up to date, but we need more more more.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

You also need to take into consideration overall system bandwidth when talking about video. Your encoding speed is still limited by the read/write speed to your hard drive. If you are dealing with 30GB movies, it still has to read all 30GB off the hard drive. 8 processors make sense for 3D encoding because the content is being created. For content that is manipulated, 4 processors are usually enough. Also, as mentioned, Apple's video tools don't always run at full speed. It's so disappointing to see Final Cut only use 2 processors for some encoding jobs. I personally wouldn't hang off because even though it's only a month away until a possible new quad-core, the quad-cores are new chips and they will likely have incompatibilities with software like Parallels and Bootcamp. There should be updates soon enough but it may take a month or so to weed out any problems.

Hey Marvin,

I was reading on macrumors, that you will be able to replace the processor of the Xeon systems with the OCTO core processor. I don't know how true that is, I would think that would be a plus if you can indeed change out the processors. What are your thoughts or anyone elses!

Fly
  • Reply 13 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I was reading on macrumors, that you will be able to repalce the processor of the Xeon systems with the OCTO core processor. I don't know how true that is, I would think that would be a plus if you can indeed change out the processors. What are your thoughs or anyone elses!

Cnet apparently did it already and posted some benchmarks:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6663792.html

They don't look that impressive just now at just 31% speed increase for an octo 2.66GHz compared to a quad 3GHz but that may improve with software updates. The bottom line is still software optimization. Not all processes can be split into a lot of threads.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neophytepwner

How about 8800 GTX or ATi X1950.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=250851&page=4

It supposedly works fine under Windows on a Mac. To get it to work on OS X, someone wrote a kext to support generic PC Nvidia cards:

http://omni.starchaser.org/titan/
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Probably not. There's not much software that can max a quad. As it is, it takes about three different programs running at max to get near max.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Hey Marvin,

I was reading on macrumors, that you will be able to replace the processor of the Xeon systems with the OCTO core processor. I don't know how true that is, I would think that would be a plus if you can indeed change out the processors. What are your thoughts or anyone elses!

Fly

It is:

A) difficult if you're not comfortable inside a computer

B) possibly warranty-voiding

C) Really expensive, since you plop down $2500ish for a Mac Pro and then $1100 each for two processors. You're unlikely to find someone paying a good price for a used Xeon.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

You're unlikely to find someone paying a good price for a used Xeon.

Is this based on assumptions or actual experience?

In my experience, it's not necessarily the case. When I checked several months ago, the going price of a pair of 2.8GHz Northwood-based (Prestonia) Xeons was $450, which is a chip that is now two processor generations old. I found a pair of 2.66 GHz Woodcrests that sold for $550, which is not great, but I think a lot higher price than one would expect for the product.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    That surprises me. In my (rather limited) experience, most people who use Xeons in servers or workstations don't favor replacing processors at all, and all of my experience with corporate or institutional IT (which I imagine controls a lot of the Xeon-based computers out there) suggested they were against the idea of using used parts (willing to pay extra to avoid perceived reliability issues).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That surprises me. In my (rather limited) experience, most people who use Xeons in servers or workstations don't favor replacing processors at all, and all of my experience with corporate or institutional IT (which I imagine controls a lot of the Xeon-based computers out there) suggested they were against the idea of using used parts (willing to pay extra to avoid perceived reliability issues).

I don't think big IT is buying them. It may very well be small businesses or individuals like myself.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

I have the money for it now, how ever I can wait.

Then wait till after the 1st week in January when MacWorld is over.