How do you transfer your pc files to your new mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there,

Is there anything special I should know about transfering my files from my pc to a new mac?

I have got everything backed up on a hard drive but will this work with a new mac? I have seen advertised some software for transfering but I didn't have time to check out why I would need it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,549member
    ..call Apple care you have 90 days free phone support, tell help you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet

Hi there,

Is there anything special I should know about transfering my files from my pc to a new mac?

I have got everything backed up on a hard drive but will this work with a new mac? I have seen advertised some software for transfering but I didn't have time to check out why I would need it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

J

1. Type of 'mac'

2. Where is the HD?

3. What format is the HD in?

4. How much data? (100 MB, 1 GB, 100 GB ?!?!)

The way I went was an external HD. If you want to save money, then you can network them (if the HD is in your old computer) using your router, and do it that way.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    FTP works pretty easily. It takes little more that clicking a button in the "Sharing" Pref Panel to turn your mac into an FTP server.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet

I have got everything backed up on a hard drive but will this work with a new mac?

1.) What files? E-mails? Music? Videos?

2.) By "hard drive", presumably you mean "external USB and/or Firewire hard drive". Do you know what format the disk is formatted in? If it's FAT32, you are good to go and will be able to connect the disk to your new Mac when it arrives and copy stuff off. If it's NTFS you should reformat the drive to FAT32 and copy stuff back onto it from the PC.

3.) Once you've done the copying, if you're not going to need to connect the drive to the PC again, you should re-format it to HFS+ using "Disk Utility", which can be found inside the "Utilities" folder inside the "Applications" folder.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hm. When I transfered, I shared all my files on my PC and just pulled them all up on my Mac and transfered them over.

Transfered fine.

The only thing is the usual: .exe won't work. Hah.