Net Neutrality

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The issue of Net Neutrality is a snow balling topic in Washington it seems. Below is an interesting take from a joint AEI/Brookings report. I am usually one that believes government should stay out of our lives as much as possible, but in this case I think we need the internet left as designed by its founders, and as such government regulation to maintain it if necessary.

Article link.

As an aside, below is a rather bland letter I received back from my Senator, Debbie Stabenow on this issue of Net Neutrality.

Quote:

October 23, 2006

Thank you . . .

. . . for contacting me regarding the Internet and the issue of network neutrality. I understand your concerns.

I share your views that the Internet has been a catalyst for free expression, innovation and economic opportunity that has benefited countless Americans. I understand your strong concern that, without network neutrality, Internet service providers could act as gatekeepers and provide access only to web content of their choosing.

As you know, various bills have been introduced on this issue. Earlier this year, an amendment that would have made network neutrality part of the Senate Telecommunications bill failed to pass the Senate Commerce Committee, of which I am not a member. Should legislation on this important issue come before me in the Senate for a vote, I will keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so again if I can ever be of assistance to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

DS:dhl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    And given the high level off technical expertise on the issue in Congress as evidenced by

Senator Ted Stevens "Series of Tubes" speech, and what happens to your own personal Internet?

Who knows what of bill of goods the Telcos and Cable Co's are trying to pull as they deal with the loss of monoploy in the landline phone bizz, perhaps they see "The Internets" as the next great revenue stream. Surley seems like they have the incentive to build "toll roads" and have the lobbying and political clout to deal with any mere public objections.