current MBP c2d has magnetic latch...interesting

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was holding a metal pin in my hand the other night and dropped it by accident. It flew right up to one of the holes where the latch clicks into on the mpb and it stuck. I checked the other hole and it was also magnetized.

So, this means that even though it's not a latchless design, it does use magnets for reinforcement. I guess it's not a big deal but it was a funny discovery for me.

Get something small and metallic and try it yourself

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I've noticed that too but it appears to me that the magnets are only used to bring down the hooks that effect the mechanical latch.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rplat is right. This has nothing to do with the magnetic latch mechanism on the MacBook. It is purely for bringing down the two hooks.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the magnetic latch on the Macbook is far superior than the hook and hole. I wish they'd update the 2001 case on the MBP already and fix that along with the stupid Hard Drive....under the keyboard...what a crock, its a pro machine.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yes, I noticed that the magnet is used to bring down the latches, but I still think it's kind of cool.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The MacBook Pro will get Magnetit latch, new keyboard (not necessarily same as MacBook's), and a complete but slight overhaul in 2007. More like refinements everwhere, rather than a major new look (lots of little things).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Actually, the magnetic latch has been used in Apple notebooks for quite a while... including the iBooks and PowerBooks for a number of years. I sort of prefer the latch to the way the MacBook is. I like just pushing the button and having it open vs. having to pop it open. The magnetic latches are actually a great design though... it keeps the latch out of the way except for when it's nearly closed and then it pops out.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joey

Actually, the magnetic latch has been used in Apple notebooks for quite a while... including the iBooks and PowerBooks for a number of years.

Yeah, I don't where those othere guys have been, but Apple has used a magnetic latch on notebooks for years.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard

Yeah, I don't where those othere guys have been.

In PC land
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    C2D latch works just fine for me!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy

In PC land

LOL