AOL = Apple OnLine

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I think that Apple should make it's own AOL-type internet software. The browser it uses should be based on the Chimera browser. It should have .Mac built into it. So when I get mail, I get a notification like in AOL. Also have iChat built into it. Make it available to .Mac subscribers as a free download. What do you think?

My whole idea is to have one program that lets me chat with my AOL/AIM buddies, lets me used a VERY fast browser (Navigator), and lets me check my .Mac email. Instead of having to open Navigator, Mail, and iChat. Just like an AOL type program but faster, better looking, works with .Mac 100%, and of course has that Apple style.

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: wolfeye155 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    What you state is totally against Apple's design philisophy - to make several programs that do one task very well. I doubt they will combine several programs into one like how you said.

OTOH, they did hire the guy who made Chimera, I think...

And Apple did have its own AOL type service, it ws called eWorld... it died...

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: chych ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    eWorld

Look it up.

Guess what kind of computer it was built for.

See why it failed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Funny thing is, AOL started out effectively as Apple OnLine. The two parties had an irreconcilable difference of opinion -- AOL wanted the software available for other platforms while Apple wanted it Macs-only.

Bit of a missed opportunity, though I can certainly see why apple wanted it to be Macs-only.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    AOL sucks its a good service for chat amoung other things but I just want the Internet not some online chat service that I can get for free.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Funny thing is, AOL started out effectively as Apple OnLine. The two parties had an irreconcilable difference of opinion -- AOL wanted the software available for other platforms while Apple wanted it Macs-only.

Bit of a missed opportunity, though I can certainly see why apple wanted it to be Macs-only.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually AOL started out as Quantum Link, a BBS for the Commodore 64.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I would like to see all forms of internet access builtin to the OS. For example: Websites, chat buddies etc. would show up as icons or possibly folders. The Finder's find command could be used to locate anytype of resource, not just files and folders. You can already do some of this with 10.2. FTP sites can be connected to via Connect to Server in the Finder. Email could be handled the same way. Create an Inbox and Sent mail folders on your harddrive. To send an email all you need to do is place a file in the sent folder. This is my idea of what Apple's digital hub should be.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by FotNS:

<strong>

Actually AOL started out as Quantum Link, a BBS for the Commodore 64.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I learn something new everyday. Thanks!