Outgoing mail problem.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use Mail to send and receive my emails, I have my old email address that was used by Outlook Express along with my .mac email too. I am able to receive emails fine, but when I try to send them I get a error saying:

Cannon send message using the server smtp.telus.net

Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

When I had Outlook Express my outgoing was set too "smtp.telus.net" so shouldn't it be set to the same thing in Mail? If anyone could help me out that would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Try the network utility in the /applications/utilites folder to ping smtp.telus.net to make sure the server is up. If it's good, try changing port 25 to 587 and vice versa, in your mail preferences > accounts > account information. In outgoing mail servers, you may have to click whatever is there, go to edit server list, and remove any inappropriate ones.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    This is usually either a problem with your DNS servers, or unreliable mail servers on your ISP's side.

Be sure to know whether your ISP requires you to enable SMTP authentication or not. Ask your provider about that info.