Switching hard drives

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How would I go about backing-up my hard drive (perferably in it's entirety) so that I can install a new one and restore it with out losing a step? Any advice would be much-appriciated.

PowerMac G5, OSX 10.3.9

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iambligh

How would I go about backing-up my hard drive (perferably in it's entirety) so that I can install a new one and restore it with out losing a step? Any advice would be much-appriciated.

PowerMac G5, OSX 10.3.9

Buy the new one, install it in the G5 as a second drive and clone straight onto it using Superduper.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Wow, what a great little app!

I have a friend who has a 160GB drive in a PMG5, and we were wanting to install a 2x 250GB RAID 0 stripe set. Would we be able to use SuperDuper? Is the fact that it is a stripe set be invisible to SuperDuper?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Wow, what a great little app!

I have a friend who has a 160GB drive in a PMG5, and we were wanting to install a 2x 250GB RAID 0 stripe set. Would we be able to use SuperDuper? Is the fact that it is a stripe set be invisible to SuperDuper?

I would think so if it's invisible to the operating system but I don't know what copy tools superduper uses so you'd need to try it out. Someone here says they use Superduper to clone RAID systems:

http://digg.com/hardware/HowTo_Set_u...rd_drivebackup