migration from ibook g4 to mb2c hangs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
just got two mb's my g3 imac transferred fine (except virex and nortons utilities) user names itunes, iphoto etc took 3 hours) BUT my wifes ibook g4 .9 tiger didn't. before i started i did the software update, repaired permissions rebooted then powered up and connected firewire cable.. at the "1hour 5 min left" hangs, the firewire logo on the ibook stops and hangs. tried again 4 times, finally i was bold and "skipped" and it gave me an error folder "itunes...path...alan jackson...device not configured" but none of my user names came across. should i just delete the alan jackson album that this error path showed? what other things do i need to do to prep my ibook

then as a dummy just tried to configure my mb with the assistant, using my .mac name etc. now the reboot i figured out that i had to sign in "system administrator" couldn't find the "short" name (later i found it to be "root") won't recognize my password, reset my password...and can't sync through .mac because it asks for a keychain password...the one i used to set up this thing won't work.

i think i have many issues, but first how to i set up my ibook to accept the transfer?? is there a way to get back to the apple intro when i first turned this thing on?? and will i reguire a re-install of ox X with erase.

i'm sorry i thought this transfer would be uneventful (my g3imac was), any suggestions are appreciated, i'll just need a step by step.

thanks for the help.....if i can pull this off i can get rid of my hp and be windows free