Macbook to Sony Bravia HDTV

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm trying to establish if a 13" Macbook can be used as a method of playing HD files/shows on a 32" Sony Bravia TV native resolution 1366x768.

In the UK its possible to download and save to disc BBC HD shows off satellite, can I play these back with quick time H.264 full screen on a 13" Macbook.

Could I also output through the Mini-dvi converted to HDMI and input to the Bravia?

Alternatively could I Mini-dv to component and then use that into the Bravia?

I can't find any reference to running H.264 full screen on a 13" Macbook

This would let me use the Macbook as a true HD source.

Anyone tried this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bodebode Posts: 29member
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thelaurels

I'm trying to establish if a 13" Macbook can be used as a method of playing HD files/shows on a 32" Sony Bravia TV native resolution 1366x768.

In the UK its possible to download and save to disc BBC HD shows off satellite, can I play these back with quick time H.264 full screen on a 13" Macbook.

Could I also output through the Mini-dvi converted to HDMI and input to the Bravia?

Alternatively could I Mini-dv to component and then use that into the Bravia?

I can't find any reference to running H.264 full screen on a 13" Macbook

This would let me use the Macbook as a true HD source.

Anyone tried this?

The Mini DVI Port will output whatever is on the screen but the DVI version will be sharper that the Composite/s-Video version:

Mini DVI - DVI

Mini DVI - VGA

Mini DVI - Composite/S-Video

Maplin do a DVI to HDMI adpator in the UK (I'm sure so do Currys.digital , Comet etc etc)

Here are Apple's specs for H.264. So you should be able to do 720p but not 1080p.

regards

mrtotes
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I've got a 32" Sony Bravia XBR display here. There's a VGA port on the left side. I just use a DVI-to-VGA adaptor to hook up to it since my HDMI port is used by an HD cable box. My Mac recognizes it at the screen's native resolution of 1366x768 and can play 720p HD without problems.