iTunes library over a network

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've just bought a MacBook (my first ever Mac, so I'm completely n00b) and want to know the best way to manage MP3's on OS X.

What I want to do is play my MP3's on my MacBook which are stored on my PC and access them over the network. I have about 100GB of MP3's. I'd prefer to use iTunes as it works really well with the Apple remote and looks fancy.

I've tried to install iTunes and add the MP3's to my iTunes library by drag and dropping over a samba share (ensuring to check the option NOT to copy the files over in the preferences) and after doing that, iTunes runs absolutely dog slow. I would have thought it wireless would have enough bandwidth to do that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know of any other software which will enable me to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Load iTunes on the PC, set up your music the way you want. Share the library. On the MacBook, tell it to look for shared libraries. Done. (Downside - the account with iTunes has to be logged in on the PC, and iTunes running, for it to work. There are 3rd party apps that can serve up the files based on the iTunes library database, but I don't know of the status on the PC side of things.)

Otherwise, the first time you're away from your network, iTunes on the MacBook will complain that it can't find any of the music, and mark them as 'not findable'... and it won't always be able to find them again later when you get back on the network. For an example of how this can go, and what you have to do to fix it, see here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...61127040718624
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Many thanks