Chimera : download = binary text

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sometimes when I download a .dmg.gz file , random text shows up and it doens't dl.

is there anyway to make sure it dl's everytime?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    This isn't "sometimes". This is always when a server sends the file as "text/plain", e.g. claims that it is plain ASCII text. The server should send either "application/octet-stream" (binary data) or the proper mime type for dmg images.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I'm not too familiar with Chimera, I have it installed but haven't used it much. Anyways, there should be a way for you to click on the link while having the command (apple) key pressed to get a contextual menu. There may be an option to download the link to a disk...I know this comes in handy when using Internet Explorer.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    That would be the control key instead. Control-click the link and choose "Download Link Target...". That will definitly download it, regardless of the mime type.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i use the ctrl + click method, but i was hoping i wouldn't have to do that when dl'ing everytime i dl a dmg.gz file.

i guess since the problem is server-side, i can't do anything about it?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    No, you can't. Sorry. The server claims that the file is plain, human-readable, text, and thus Chimera treats it as such. The fact that some other browser (whose name shouldn't be mentioned) ignores the mime type in many cases is actually a violation of the HTTP spec, which is yet another reason for not using IE (oops).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    ahh, okay....

@ least it's not my fault
  • Reply 7 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>ahh, okay....

@ least it's not my fault </strong><hr></blockquote>

it is. you have shares from M$. admit it. now.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I've had these files download as text using chimera, and after the download was complete(about 6 feet of text) I chose to save the file and BOOM... on my desktop was the .dmg file. Maybe that will work for you, did for me.