OSX 10.4.8 Network Browsing Problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello every one. This is my first post here and i hope to have some luck. First of all I appologizes for my english, I´m writing you from Argentina.

My problem is as follows:

I have a small office, I have 4 PC-Win, a Macbook and an IMac (my first macs, recently bought them ) running into a network. My first question is if it´s exist something like "My Network Places"(win) on Mac OSX. (I have 10.4.8 running) If I follow the path GO>Network I have to connect to my other computers one by one, and the items shared one by one...It´s a waste of time and a very uncomfortable way to work with my network. OS remembers all the items connected and place them into my desktop, but when you restart or shutdown your computer you have to connect to the shared items again.

Well, my question is: It´s possible to have a finder window where all my shared items show up? and, if it´s not possible, Can I get a software or application to have this kind of visualization?. I just need a place where i could see all my shared items togheter all the time, even when i have restarted my macs.

Iportant Data:

Macs are running OS X Tiger 10.4.8

Macs & PCs are in the same workgroup.

I have my firewalls dislabled.

PCs are running Win XP Pro SP2

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Easiest way? Make an alias of the mounted share, and then put that where you want. Next time you need access, just double-click it. The Finder will go mount the share, then show you it. I do this at home between Macs, but it should work the same over SMB (Mac <-> Win) as well.

Quick way to test: Assuming you have network shares showing on the Desktop (you should by default), click on the mounted sharepoint once to select, then go to File -> Make Alias (or hit Cmd-L). Now drag the mounted sharepoint to the Trash to unmount it. Then double-click the alias. If the mounted share shows back up, it works.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Kickaha...you save my life!, OMG it was so damn simple!!! I can´t believe...I don´t know why i´m always looking forward to the most difficult solution when the problem is easy to solve...

Anyway apple should do some improved network navigation features for they next release of OS. It´s true that dong it like this way you can choose what places you want to see and keep away the ones that you won´t have, but i would like an improved tool to manage network sites.

Thanks Kickaha! and sorry for my terrble english!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spotless

Kickaha...you save my life!, OMG it was so damn simple!!! I can´t believe...I don´t know why i´m always looking forward to the most difficult solution when the problem is easy to solve...

Well you *did* say you normally use Windows...

Quote:

Anyway apple should do some improved network navigation features for they next release of OS. It´s true that dong it like this way you can choose what places you want to see and keep away the ones that you won´t have, but i would like an improved tool to manage network sites.

It's a bit strange, but once you have those aliases, you can manage those just like you would any other file - toss them in folders, whatever. It would be nicer to have a more robust browser for such mount points though so you can find them in the first place.

Quote:

Thanks Kickaha! and sorry for my terrble english!

Your English is better than most of the native-speakers on here, so don't worry about that.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Well you *did* say you normally use Windows...

It's a bit strange, but once you have those aliases, you can manage those just like you would any other file - toss them in folders, whatever. It would be nicer to have a more robust browser for such mount points though so you can find them in the first place.

Your English is better than most of the native-speakers on here, so don't worry about that.

Ha ha, i´m trying to do my best with my english....thanks man. Visit my website soon (it´s not uploaded now but it will be available in a month maybe) We are a design team...www.518studio.com).

Count on me for anything you need that I can help you... my email is [email protected]

Thanks!.