802.11n - Please could you help me?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,

I am looking to get an imac in the new year and I am researching everything to death at the moment!! Procrastinating is part of the fun of buying it!!

What I was wondering was if I bought the netgear wireless modem / router with the draft n speed would this work with the 802.11n card already in the imac (that apple haven't yet annouced). How does the 802.11n cards in the imacs get activated (for the want of a better work).

I understand that 802.11n is at draft sign off but is it possible to use this technology at the moment with imac's and macbooks?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet

Hi there,

I am looking to get an imac in the new year and I am researching everything to death at the moment!! Procrastinating is part of the fun of buying it!!

What I was wondering was if I bought the netgear wireless modem / router with the draft n speed would this work with the 802.11n card already in the imac (that apple haven't yet annouced). How does the 802.11n cards in the imacs get activated (for the want of a better work).

I understand that 802.11n is at draft sign off but is it possible to use this technology at the moment with imac's and macbooks?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

J

Although the current generation of iMacs and MacBooks have a pre-802.11n card, you will not be able to utilize the 'n' bandwidth until Apple release a new version of OSX which contains the drivers. There aren't any 3rd party drivers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

Although the current generation of iMacs and MacBooks have a pre-802.11n card, you will not be able to utilize the 'n' bandwidth until Apple release a new version of OSX which contains the drivers. There aren't any 3rd party drivers.

Ok that makes sense. So Leopard will have these drivers???

Thanks again.

J
  • Reply 3 of 4
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Yes, it would be nice if Apple released Leopard with true 801.11n drivers.

It would be even better if Apple released fixes for the n-compliant modules in C2D iMacs and MacPros There's a lot of us with Airport performance which can barely manage 5 megabits - never mind 200.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Don't count on "secret" hardware features ever being activated. It'll be nice if it happens, but I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on it.