Fujitsu announces 300GB notebook drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From MacNN

Quote:

Fujitsu today said that it has set a new record for capacity in 2.5-inch notebook hard drives with its new MHX2300BT series of disks that use perpendicular magnetic recording to achieve up to 300GB of notebook-size storage. Electronista reports that the 4200RPM improve speed without affecting power consumption because of the increased drive density and draws only 1.6W of power during active use, the best in its class, according to the company. The MHX line consumes as little as 0.5W when idling and is one of the few notebook-class drives to support Native Command Queuing for faster and more intelligent data loading. Fujitsu expects shipments in early 2007 and will accompany the launch with a less expensive 250GB model using the same technology.

This is great news hopefully when these are released apple will add them as BTO for both the Macbook and Mac Mini line!! 8)

Now I wonder how much they are going to cost??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'd rather them up the 200gb to 5400rpm, it's gotta be something substantial and faster than 4200rpm to force me to pay someone to upgrade my mbp's hd.

I want bigger than the 80 I have but I don't wanna break warranty doing it myself and if I'm going to pay the labour to an apple tech I need 5400rpm disks, I'm on the fence about the 160 ones, but a 200-250(preferably 250) would definetly push me over.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I'd rather them up the 200gb to 5400rpm, it's gotta be something substantial and faster than 4200rpm to force me to pay someone to upgrade my mbp's hd.

I want bigger than the 80 I have but I don't wanna break warranty doing it myself and if I'm going to pay the labour to an apple tech I need 5400rpm disks, I'm on the fence about the 160 ones, but a 200-250(preferably 250) would definetly push me over.

With an average read/write speed of 27 MB/s, on the Fujitsu 200 GB 4200rpm drive (according to Tom's Hardware), I'm not seeing much of a problem, considering that you would be achieving a storage capacity 2.5 times that which you have now.

I'll be replacing the 160GB drive in my MBP with the 300GB model the minute I can get my hands on one.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

With an average read/write speed of 27 MB/s, on the Fujitsu 200 GB 4200rpm drive (according to Tom's Hardware), I'm not seeing much of a problem, considering that you would be achieving a storage capacity 2.5 times that which you have now.

I'll be replacing the 160GB drive in my MBP with the 300GB model the minute I can get my hands on one.

That's right, it's to do with storage density. Because it takes less time to access a particular area of the drive, you don't need the rotational speeds to be that high so not only do you get similar transfer rates to 5400 drives, you get more storage and less power use. It's all good.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Yeah but bench marks still show that on the whole the 160gb is faster.