Briefly: Apple releases Aperture 1.5.2 update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday released the latest in an ongoing series of maintenance updates to its post-production photography workflow application, which it recommends for all users of the software.

Aperture 1.5.2 (131MB) addresses issues related to overall reliability and performance, the company said.

Specific areas targeted by the update include: contact sheet printing, smart albums, watermarks, lift and stamp, image export, and image versions created using an external editor.

"If you haven’t already done so, it is strongly recommended that you also download the Digital Camera RAW Support Update 1.0.1," Apple wrote in the release notes accompanying the Aperture update.

The Digital Camera RAW Support Update provides RAW file format compatibility for several digital SLR cameras, including the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, Nikon D80, and Pentax *ist DS.

It also addresses the handling of large Canon RAW files, DNG compatibility on Intel-based Macintosh computers, and lines that sometimes appearing in images exported from Aperture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    "provides RAW file format compatibility for the several new digital SLR cameras, including Canon's Digital Rebel XTi, 400D and Kiss X Digital."

That's one and the same camera. A more apt description would be "provides RAW file format compatibility for three new digital SLR cameras, namely Canon's Digital Rebel XTi / 400D / Kiss X Digital, Nikon's D80 and Pentax's *ist DS".
  • Reply 2 of 9
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    *ist DS NEW? lol.... Apple are so out of date, they need support for the newer Pentax K100/K110 and K10
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    "and lines that sometimes appearing in images exported from Aperture"

I just noticed a vertical line in an exported image yesterday (it's not a solid line, just slightly briter than the surrounding area and one pixel wide and about 100 pixels high. Wonder if this will fix it...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo

"and lines that sometimes appearing in images exported from Aperture"

I just noticed a vertical line in an exported image yesterday (it's not a solid line, just slightly briter than the surrounding area and one pixel wide and about 100 pixels high. Wonder if this will fix it...

Good grief, no wonder Aperture isn't gaining traction like it should. Sounds like they released some nasty, buggy software on the photogs.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Good grief, no wonder Aperture isn't gaining traction like it should. Sounds like they released some nasty, buggy software on the photogs.

It's actually not that big of a bug. I didn't notice any lines in my other photos. Even though (I assume this is the problem and) they fixed it, it's not bad enough to warrant exporting again.

As for gaining traction, give it time. 1.0 really wasn't ready for prime-time and gave a lot of people a bad first impression. 1.5 (short of performance issues) is nearly perfect, but not widely recognized. I use it because the time I save because of the workflow efficiency makes up for the time I lose due to sluggish performance many times over. If they can manage to speed things up a lot with 2.0 (and I expect they will) I think photographers will start flocking to it like videographers did to FCP.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    apple should buy ADOBE
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac

apple should buy ADOBE

LOL! and why not! I think I'll buy it myself!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    And people thought apple had abandoned aperture. Tsk, tsk.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Has anyone experienced Aperture provoking a kernel panic when entering sleep mode on a G5? Very noticeable, as it sets all the fans off. 1.5.2 looks like it may have cured the problem.