CRT imac and widescreen LCD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a driver or something for OSX that will allow me to use my imac CRT model with a widescreen LCD monitor via the VGA output?

If so can it also shut of the CRT while using the external monitor? Or will it span?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    As far as I know only in the G4 iMacs (lamp style), and from those only in a few, you were able to enable screen spanning. On iBooks from the 800 MHz series up you were also able to do so. The G3 iMacs are mirror-only and that at 1024*768 only, so it won't work.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

As far as I know only in the G4 iMacs (lamp style), and from those only in a few, you were able to enable screen spanning. On iBooks from the 800 MHz series up you were also able to do so. The G3 iMacs are mirror-only and that at 1024*768 only, so it won't work.

Screen Spanning Doctor enables extended desktops on PowerPC iMacs but not 15" models (be they iMac CRT Slot or iMac G4) (the exception being the 1GHz 15" G4). 15" iMacs are stuck with their native resolutions (i.e. XGA).

The only thing I can propose is to try SwitchResX. This allows custom resolutions on the Internal display and so may allow you to achieve a 1024x640 (or something) which, if the external display supports this res would be widescreen. You can't turn the Internal display off AFAIK.