New Macheist?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I did a quick search and didn't see a link to this



MacHeist.com has a ridiculous bundle on this week, with Delicious library, Disco, Rapid Weaver and more - all for $49.



Even better - 25% goes to charity (you've got your choice of charities on there).



MacHeist is being driven by the same guys who did mydreamapp - so if you're keen on some awesome software, this is a great choice. I'd already bought a license for Disco so I was able to donate the license to a friend, which I thought was incredibly cool.



Here's the breakdown:



Delicious Library - $40

FotoMagico - $80

Shapeshifter - $20

DEVONThink Personal - $40

Disco $15

RapidWeaver $40

iClip 4 - $30

Your choice of Pangea game - $ ~25



Bundle Price: $49.00





If you're unfamiliar with any of these apps - they're all shareware and you can download them all to try at macheist.



they're currently at $17k in donations for charity. If the get $50k in donations (via purchase) Newsfire (RSS reader) gets unlocked. at $100k in donations TextMate gets unlocked.



I normally don't post over here in Software (what with being busy moderating iPod+iTunes) but since I didn't see a thread for it in here and there are some stupid cool apps for an awesome price, I thought it might be worth while to post it. Enjoy!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    thanks for the link. i bought into this right away, great apps, amazing price!



    more people here should do this, 25% goes to charity and you get a boatload of really good applications.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Yeah, I read two articles today, one from Gus Mueller of Voodoo Pad fame and an interview with Wil Shipley of Delicious Monster



    Wil, who has software as part of the MacHeist package, thinks it's a brilliant idea. He's happy with the charity aspect, he's happy with the publicity and he's happy with the returns.



    Gus, who turned down the chance to be part of it, claims it waters down the value of Independent Mac software developers. He thinks the charity aspect is a "Crock of Shit"







    I think Gus is suffering from the worst case of sour grapes ever and I told him so today - he took it well. The developers involved find the program to be satisfactory, if you're on the outside looking in it looks sad if all you can do is complain. It sounds like Gus is more wounded at being upstaged by an 18 year old marketing whiz than anything else.



    Be that as it may, I've received the majority of my licenses by now and I'm pleased with the software. I've bought Shareware in the past and I'm definitely more likely to purchase offerings from companies that were involved in this program when they offer them down the road.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quick Update: Newsfire has just been unlocked Only $46k in charitable donations to go until TextMate gets unlocked.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    MacHeist sucks.



    Read This.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I thought "Macheist" was something I'd never heard of until now... like Machinima.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New (corrected for truthiness)


    MacHeist R00lz.



    (nonsense link clipped)



    It's interesting that we have so many people who are standing up screaming that the developers are getting a raw deal.



    Except the developers themselves don't think that.



    These armchair Dvoraks (oh... oh, no he didn't!) seem to have quite an opinion about "facts" and "figures" about the devs getting 'ripped off'. However, they've publicly stated that they're getting a fair shake and they're happy with what they get.



    I've put these companies on my bookmark list, I'll be watching for new apps in the future and I will upgrade. Mission, as they say, accomplished



    I certainly will not buy anything from Gus Mueller nor will I frequent the blogs of the naysayers. It's a democracy, or so I'm told, and I'm voting with my dollar. If you think Macheist sucks - all power to you - I'm happy with the apps that I've thought about for a while but haven't really had the drive to click "buy".
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Paul Kafasis and Gus Mueller are dickheads. I wish they'd shut up for just 5 minutes.



    Sure they make great software but everytime they speak, I wish I could punch them in the face.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Thanks kim - you've been sigged for truth
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw


    Yeah, I read two articles today, one from Gus Mueller of Voodoo Pad fame and an interview with Wil Shipley of Delicious Monster



    Wil, who has software as part of the MacHeist package, thinks it's a brilliant idea. He's happy with the charity aspect, he's happy with the publicity and he's happy with the returns.



    Gus, who turned down the chance to be part of it, claims it waters down the value of Independent Mac software developers. He thinks the charity aspect is a "Crock of Shit"







    I think Gus is suffering from the worst case of sour grapes ever and I told him so today - he took it well. The developers involved find the program to be satisfactory, if you're on the outside looking in it looks sad if all you can do is complain. It sounds like Gus is more wounded at being upstaged by an 18 year old marketing whiz than anything else.



    Be that as it may, I've received the majority of my licenses by now and I'm pleased with the software. I've bought Shareware in the past and I'm definitely more likely to purchase offerings from companies that were involved in this program when they offer them down the road.



    I think just the opposite: Gus has a chance to join, and smartly declined. The other developers, who had previously not done the math, now feel a little screwed over but who's gonna come out and say, "hey, I've been screwed over."
  • Reply 11 of 31
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    I think just the opposite: Gus has a chance to join, and smartly declined. The other developers, who had previously not done the math, now feel a little screwed over but who's gonna come out and say, "hey, I've been screwed over."



    I don't think so. Even if the developer only gets $3 a copy (no idea what they get), at 5394 copies sold right now, a nice check for $16,000 for a shareware developer is a pretty NICE thing. And its only going up. Assume they sell 10,000 copies...30 grand, a lot of publicity and pretty much easy money. Most likely got money from people that would have NEVER bought it by itself.



    That's what I think, and I am a former shareware author (back in the BBS days) who made a few bucks from shareware sales.



    A big check is nice. Yeah, you have support to think about, but these apps aren't all that complex, think of it as a paid beta, get a lot of bugs found and fixed, and some cash to start 2007 with.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    I think just the opposite: Gus has a chance to join, and smartly declined. The other developers, who had previously not done the math, now feel a little screwed over but who's gonna come out and say, "hey, I've been screwed over."





    I object, your honour! Speculation!



    Seriously - we have a developer who is part of the program (and a savvy business man to boot) saying that a)he's happy with it and b)he's, like, happy with it - on the one hand.



    And we have Gus "Can't Get No Satisfaction" Mueller whinging on the other. Like Sandau said above, even at the a low per unit dollars rate there's some cash being handed out. These are, for the most part, incremental sales - as well as a nice dollop of Market Awareness(tm) and Goodwill(c).



    Your supposition that other devs feel screwed is completely unfounded. MY theory that Gus is a whiney brat who has hiked up his baby pants with sucky belt is grounded firmly in that one term of psychology I took at University!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau


    I don't think so. Even if the developer only gets $3 a copy (no idea what they get), at 5394 copies sold right now, a nice check for $16,000 for a shareware developer is a pretty NICE thing. And its only going up. Assume they sell 10,000 copies...30 grand, a lot of publicity and pretty much easy money. Most likely got money from people that would have NEVER bought it by itself.



    That's what I think, and I am a former shareware author (back in the BBS days) who made a few bucks from shareware sales.



    A big check is nice. Yeah, you have support to think about, but these apps aren't all that complex, think of it as a paid beta, get a lot of bugs found and fixed, and some cash to start 2007 with.



    You haven't read any of those sites :/



    They don't get a per unit fee. They get a flat fee from around $5-12 thousand, regardless of how many bundles sell.



    MacHeist is on track to make like a quarter of a million dollars.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw


    I object, your honour! Speculation!



    Seriously - we have a developer who is part of the program (and a savvy business man to boot) saying that a)he's happy with it and b)he's, like, happy with it - on the one hand.



    And we have Gus "Can't Get No Satisfaction" Mueller whinging on the other. Like Sandau said above, even at the a low per unit dollars rate there's some cash being handed out. These are, for the most part, incremental sales - as well as a nice dollop of Market Awareness(tm) and Goodwill(c).



    Your supposition that other devs feel screwed is completely unfounded. MY theory that Gus is a whiney brat who has hiked up his baby pants with sucky belt is grounded firmly in that one term of psychology I took at University!



    But Gus's point never was that the developers would be unhappy.



    His point was that the deal wasn't fair, and this is valid: it isn't.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    But Gus's point never was that the developers would be unhappy.



    His point was that the deal wasn't fair, and this is valid: it isn't.



    According to whom?



    Aren't the people involved the ones to judge? Aren't those on the outside nosy busybodies?





    Yes and yes. Deals are between those who make them. Tell you what - the next time you buy electronics as a loss leader and the retailer and manufacturer get screwed over on profit margins, Why don't we all post a blog stating that it's unfair - sounds a bit silly, doesn't it?



    We don't firmly know the details of the deal (we have what, two accounts from smaller vendors?), but as mentioned earlier, several participants are on record as stating the found it acceptable.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...the_heist.html



    Fotomagico's developer makes a case for including his software. I agree with him.



    I'm purchasing this bundle tomorrow and I will try every application. The apps that I grow a fondness for will see upgrades.



    Software is art I won't deny but art cannot be seen unless you find a way to get your product out. I'm looking forward to learning these new apps.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I thought the controversy was not over the bundling but the promotion of the bundle as beneficial to shareware developers when in fact they are getting the smallest cut.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsLan^


    I thought the controversy was not over the bundling but the promotion of the bundle as beneficial to shareware developers when in fact they are getting the smallest cut.



    Which, given that they've publicly stated they are in favour of the arrangement, makes that argument the very definition of splitting hairs.



    It's really breaking down to:



    "It's GOOD for the shareware developers - and I love the apps" - The Users

    "We're happy with the money we're making and we think it was a good venture" - The Devs involved

    "Nooooooooo, it's bad! It devalues software! Phil Ryu's making money! That's bad! The money, it's not shared equally! It's NOT FAIR!" - The Naysayers.



    Really, what it breaks down to - and I think we can all agree here: Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw


    Really, what it breaks down to - and I think we can all agree here: Apple is doomed.



    LOL Netcraft confirms it
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Also...iTMS sales PLUMMETING!!!! OMG.
Sign In or Register to comment.