Keychain: Now Part of Chimera

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
You know, I hadn't really bothered to give any thought to it until now, but: WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T BROWSERS BEEN USING THE BUILT-IN MAC OS KEYCHAIN?!

I mean, think about it. Most of your passwords are obviously going to come from HTML web pages as logins to message boards, etc., so why hasn't Internet Explorer and even OmniWeb (whose creators have strived so hard for OS X compliance) instituted the keychain model beyond their own proprietary password memorization feature. I applaud the fellows working on Chimera for using Keychain, and it has made me re-evaluate how far they are going to make Chimera THE Mac OS X browser, both in performance and interface complience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon Rubinstein:

<strong>so why hasn't Internet Explorer and even OmniWeb (whose creators have strived so hard for OS X compliance) instituted the keychain model beyond their own proprietary password memorization feature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:confused: OmniWeb has always used Keychain.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I don't think so, dude. Like your AppleInsider forum password, for instance. Open the Keychain Access utility and look. If you've only been using OmniWeb, none of the passwords of the sites you've gone to are in there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Omniweb uses the Keychain for password protected sites, as in, a private server that has a login/pass to even view the pages. iCab does the same, but IE and Mozilla use their own proprietary methods of storing the passwords.

Chimera is the only browser to store login/password fields in HTML pages in the keychain. Moz can do this in its proprietary system, but not the Keychain.