A little help with webcams?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I?m new here and pretty new to my iMac. I've had it a little over a year but haven't really gotten that familiar with. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I want to start doing video chats but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it true that pc's and mac's won't see each other using the most popular messenger services? Also can any one recommend a decent webcam that will work with my mac? I know about the isight but that?s a bit pricey for me. I'm hoping to stay below $50.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Anyone??
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gman1987

I’m new here and pretty new to my iMac. I've had it a little over a year but haven't really gotten that familiar with. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I want to start doing video chats but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it true that pc's and mac's won't see each other using the most popular messenger services? Also can any one recommend a decent webcam that will work with my mac? I know about the isight but that’s a bit pricey for me. I'm hoping to stay below $50.

Hello fellow budget Mac person. I was in the same situation. I got a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. It also has a built in mic. I got it for $60. It works pretty well using USB 2.0. The sadly the Logitech drivers are not the best. I upgraded to the IOXperts web cam drivers. They work the best, $19.95. I tried the Macally notebook cam, $30.00 at the local MicroCenter, but I could not get it to work. I had to return it. I think Logitech is phasing out the 4000 so you may need to try eBay for it. I found mine at a local OfficeDepot.

I am able is use my cam with aMSN (sometimes) I have a slow processor. Mercury Messenger and Yahoo 3.0 with people using PC's or Macs. Yahoo works the best. I don't know anyone that uses iChat. I think you have to get a hack to use a USB cam with iChat. I have also tried to use this cam with Skype video but my processor is below the minimum. Maybe you would have better luck if you have a faster CPU. Keep us up to date and ask if you have more questions. Good luck!