Mobile iTunes on iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
alright I know this is probably a newb question, but what are the odds that the iPhone will feature a mobile iTunes program for downloading songs and videos??

I know the obvious answer is yes, but with all these rumors, I haven't seen anything or anyone discussing a mobile iTunes... Is it just implied or am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

alright I know this is probably a newb question, but what are the odds that the iPhone will feature a mobile iTunes program for downloading songs and videos??

I know the obvious answer is yes, but with all these rumors, I haven't seen anything or anyone discussing a mobile iTunes... Is it just implied or am I missing something?

If you mean, browse songs on iTS using your phone and then download them directly from iTS to the phone, I think that this is unlikely to happen. I would guess that everything will be synced from your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

If you mean, browse songs on iTS using your phone and then download them directly from iTS to the phone, I think that this is unlikely to happen. I would guess that everything will be synced from your computer.

But wouldn't that put apple behind the rest of the phone companies? Everyone else already has, or will soon have music and video streaming and download. the problem with these is they can only be used on your phone ( and for outrageously inflated prices ). If Apple came in with an iPhone ( which will sell well on its own strengths ) and mobile iTunes ( which would be icing on the cake ) it could dominate sales of multimedia phones.

Think about the possibilities... Use a streamlined version of itunes to download the new episode of Lost ( still for $2, not some ridiculous streaming or $5 download ) or maybe browse and download some music. ( still $1, but these would also probably count against your data usage, i.e. data charges still apply )

Then when you get home, sync it up for storage on your desktop/notebook, or even better, hook it up to your iTV.

I know video probably wouldn't work. ( take way too long to download ) but music would most definately be a possibility, and would totally blow Vcast and other services out of the water.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

But wouldn't that put apple behind the rest of the phone companies? Everyone else already has, or will soon have music and video streaming and download.

The problem as you say is the price. Apple is not going to make it easier for the telecom companies to gouge you. Apple wants to take your dollars, not give them to Cingular, et al.

Quote:

... probably count against your data usage, i.e. data charges still apply

Got it in one!

I think it is likely that the only reason people download shit to their phones from the ether is that they can't do it easily on their PCs to transfer to their phones. Cingular wants for you to have no way to download a song or a ringtone or anything else other than through them. The experience of downloading directly onto a phone through something like a mobile iTunes will suck in comparison to using your computer (ever tried surfing the internet on a smart phone? -- it's do-able if you must, but there are better ways). Perhaps 5% of people would really use such a feature, so why spend time and money developing it when there is a much better solution already in place that 95% of your customer base will be perfectly happy with -- more that simply "perfectly happy" as so many iPod users already know how easy it is to add tunes to their Apple mobile devices. Apple has no reason to change this. This is just like all ten people who think that adding FM radio to the iPod would be a good idea: not going to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

The problem as you say is the price. Apple is not going to make it easier for the telecom companies to gouge you. Apple wants to take your dollars, not give them to Cingular, et al.

Got it in one!

I think it is likely that the only reason people download shit to their phones from the ether is that they can't do it easily on their PCs to transfer to their phones. Cingular wants for you to have no way to download a song or a ringtone or anything else other than through them. The experience of downloading directly onto a phone through something like a mobile iTunes will suck in comparison to using your computer (ever tried surfing the internet on a smart phone? -- it's do-able if you must, but there are better ways). Perhaps 5% of people would really use such a feature, so why spend time and money developing it when there is a much better solution already in place that 95% of your customer base will be perfectly happy with -- more that simply "perfectly happy" as so many iPod users already know how easy it is to add tunes to their Apple mobile devices. Apple has no reason to change this. This is just like all ten people who think that adding FM radio to the iPod would be a good idea: not going to happen.

good point. I hadn't considered the fact that people are ( in a way ) forced to download to their cellphone. that would explain their popularity.

but hey! I like having an fm radio.... I use it at the gym and when walking. ( I like to listen to NPR )
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

good point. I hadn't considered the fact that people are ( in a way ) forced to download to their cellphone. that would explain their popularity.

but hey! I like having an fm radio.... I use it at the gym and when walking. ( I like to listen to NPR )

NPR offers some pretty good Podcasts. That what I use.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Umm... you can stop calling it the iPhone now. Try iChat Mobile or iPod Mobile... you'll warm up to it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Umm... you can stop calling it the iPhone now. Try iChat Mobile or iPod Mobile... you'll warm up to it.

lol if you look i obviously wrote that before we found out

the ( insert name of rumored apple phone here ) wasn't called the iPhone.

possible names now....

iSpeak

iLife mobile ( if it was a smart phone )

iChat

iTalk

MacPhone

iPod Phone ( wouldn't work cause people would abbreviate it as iPhone )

Slider ( SLDR )? ( hey it worked for motorola )

iCommunicate ( lol )

any other good ones?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Yes, MoPho™. Steve... let's do lunch, babe.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

iPod Phone ( wouldn't work cause people would abbreviate it as iPhone )

People don't shorten 'iPod Nano' to iNano, but even if they did with iPhone/iPod Phone, how would that be a bad thing?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

People don't shorten 'iPod Nano' to iNano, but even if they did with iPhone/iPod Phone, how would that be a bad thing?

You're right: the iPod doesn't need to be shortened, the iPod Nano is simply "the Nano," and the iPod Shuffle is similarly "the Shuffle." I guess this means that the iPod Phone will be... oh, hold on: I have to answer the Phone...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

You're right: the iPod doesn't need to be shortened, the iPod Nano is simply "the Nano," and the iPod Shuffle is similarly "the Shuffle." I guess this means that the iPod Phone will be... oh, hold on: I have to answer the Phone...

exactly....

If I came up and asked you what kind of mp3 player that is, you would call it the shuffle. ( or nano, or if it was the big one, just ipod )

but if I came up to you and asked you what phone that was, you wouldn't want to say " the phone "

and ipod phone just doesn't roll off the tongue.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I just had an epiphany, tell me how this sounds.

mycom

or if you want to be different

micom ( still pronounced my-com )

doesn't it just roll off the tongue?

btw......

dibs.