Is there OCR software for the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

This has been like a wild goose chase for me

Is there any other OCR software besides Omnipage, which users on Versiontracker rated 2 stars? Costing $500?

I don't mean programs that re-convert word files that were saved as PDFs, I'm talking scanned text pages, read and converted into editable text. Ultimately, a sheetfeed scanner with a good OCR program would be perfect for my projects. However, can't seem to find an OCR program that isn't too costly and getting bad reviews.

Anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks for your feedback

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You might look into ReadIRIS Pro 11. However, you cannot expect a Cadillac at Chevrolet prices.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

You might look into ReadIRIS Pro 11. However, you cannot expect a Cadillac at Chevrolet prices.

hmm, it's on Apple's site, tho not endorsed. I don't see any negatives posted on this product. For $130, it may just do the job for me. I can only guess what Omnipage will do at $499, and that's not a chance i wanna take.

thanks for your feedback.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    There's also Vuescan:

http://www.hamrick.com/

It's only $50 for the basic version.

I can vouch for this one because I've tested it on various pages and it converts perfectly. Try it first to see if it supports your scanner.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotplanners

hmm, it's on Apple's site, tho not endorsed. ...

The Apple Store sells products from Apple and third-parties just like a brick-and-mortar retail store. Each product is backed (or not) by its manufacturer. As a rule of thumb, Apple does not endorse third-party products.