Inexpensive Wireless Base Station

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently have a small two computer LAN. I have a DSL modem with the Ethernet output going to a 4 out router. The router is hooked by Ethernet cables to a computer and laser printer in the same room and through the wall to a powerbook downstairs.

Recently we bought a used G4 Mac Mini that comes with Airport wireless. That computer is in a room where it would be expensive and difficult to run an Ethernet cable.

Correct me if I?m wrong but I?m assuming I can connect a wireless base station to the other router. If so, except for price Apple?s Airport Express seems a logical choice. However it?ll be used only occasionally so I?m looking for something less expensive. I?m noticing wireless broadband routers being advertised as loss leaders in the $40 range, for example Circuit City has a Netgear wireless broadband router for $39.99. Would something like that work and how easy are they to configure for a Mac? Do you have any wireless recommendations, something that works for you?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Yes a wireless router will do what the more expensive Airport base station does. I have a Netgear, but any good brand at a good price ($30-$50 range when on sale) will do. Easy to configure; basically plug your DSL modem into the router, router into computer, and then the airport equipped computer should find the connection. You still need to run on file sharing, printer sharing if you want to do somethng more than just share the DSL. But all pretty painless.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob

Yes a wireless router will do what the more expensive Airport base station does. I have a Netgear, but any good brand at a good price ($30-$50 range when on sale) will do. Easy to configure; basically plug your DSL modem into the router, router into computer, and then the airport equipped computer should find the connection. You still need to run on file sharing, printer sharing if you want to do somethng more than just share the DSL. But all pretty painless.

Thanks for the information.