MacBook Pro: No Batteries Available?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently (about three or four weeks ago) got a new MacBook Pro through my school. Everything has been working amazingly well, except during class today, my battery went a little crazy. It was reading as completely %100 charged even when it wasn't. This wasn't really that big of a problem, except when the battery power was completely drained, I recieved no notice. It just powered off all of a sudden.

Now my battery icon in the upper-right corner of my screen has a little X through it. When I click on it to bring up the little battery drop-down menu, it says "No batteries available". I've been scouring the internet for a few hours now and I haven't found a solution that works. I've also searched through this forum for a thread about this issue but couldn't find anything. I understand there is some sort of battery recall on the MacBook Pro batteries, but I checked on the Apple site and my battery's serial number doesn't fit the qualifications for a return.

If all else fails I have an Apple Care plan on my MacBook, but I'm really hoping for a simpiler and more time-efficient solution. It would be really, really inconvenient to have to sit with my laptop near power outlets constantly, especially while at school. I'm studying as a graphic designer, my laptop being a pretty integral part of my education.

You guys seem pretty ontop of your Mac game, so I'd thought I'd give it a try and ask you guys. Any help would be greatly, greatly appriciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I had this happen to me several months ago on my MacBook Pro.

My battery was one of those that was recalled and I never bothered to check the serial number until I got the X and "No batteries available" prompt.

Your battery is dead, so you need to contact Apple.

If you have an Apple Store near you, they will probably give you a new battery on the spot if you take your MBP to them.

Otherwise, call the Apple Care number and they'll take care of you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yeah, there's an Apple Store about ten minutes away. Am I going to have to buy a new battery, or are they just going to exchange it? I don't really have the money to shell out on a new laptop battery being a broke college student and all.

Thanks for the help, also.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If your mac in under warranty and the battery is one of the ones that has been recalled Apple will just simply replace it under the battery replacement programme.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It is under warranty, but I don't think it was one of the recalled barreries. So I'm just going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow I guess. Thanks for all the help.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'm having the same problem, except my MBP now just shuts down without giving warning (ie: screen goes black, power goes out). I don't have AppleCare, and I bought the laptop in early June. I also live in NYC, so I can easily get to an Apple Store. If I bring the MBP in and ask for a replacement, will they just give it to me or would I have to pay for it? (I also checked the serial # and it doesn't qualify for replacement).

It also shows 81 cycles/81% health. Is that normal?