WANTED: Powerful CMS

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
What are some good powerful Content Management Systems. Preferably not open sources. My problem with Joomla was that with each extension that was needed, it got less and less reliable.



Note, this CMS is for an online news publication.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    What's wrong with open source?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel


    What's wrong with open source?



    Not powerful enough, not stable enough for CMS.



    WordPress is the only open source blog or CMS I have used thus far that is good -- and it is not nearly powerful enough for my purposes.



    Open source isn't bad for everything.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Depends on what you want to do. pMachine/ExpressionEngine is good. Moveable Type is good. Scoop is good.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,786member
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Expression Engine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter


    Depends on what you want to do. pMachine/ExpressionEngine is good. Moveable Type is good. Scoop is good.



    Uhg. We are currently using MT. But that really just a high-end blog system. We are looking to move up to a better real CMS.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    Uhg. We are currently using MT. But that really just a high-end blog system. We are looking to move up to a better real CMS.



    Again, it depends on what you're doing. Scoop is used by a lot of blogs (redstate.com, dailykos.com) and newspapers.



    drupal (open-source) has been around for a while and is well-respected.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    Not powerful enough, not stable enough for CMS.



    This isn't a problem with open source, rather it's a problem with the select open-source software that happen to exist for this market.



    I currently use a hacked up version of phpBB. It took a little custom work, but at the end of the day, the solution seems to be working pretty well, and I have tremendous remote editing capabilities. I don't know if I'd recommend it for managing an online magazine or what not, but for personal use it's quite fine. (although I happen to know that some magzines do use it for content management.)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel


    This isn't a problem with open source, rather it's a problem with the select open-source software that happen to exist for this market.



    Exactly.
Sign In or Register to comment.