Upgrading or waiting for Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Will be getting an iMac - was thinking January but if they announce they are going to to launch Leopard in say March a couple of questions.

1. Do they usually have some sort of offer if I buy the old OS to get the new one for free (sort of like Windows Vista right now)?

2. Since I can wait would folks recommend waiting rather than try and upgrade the operating system? I know on Windows I wouldn't even consider it - I'd wait until I could get Vista.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No if you buy now or before Leopard comes out, you must buy Leopard for $129 when it comes out. However there are rumors that the next versions of iLife & iWork will come with Leopard, so in that case the $129 is definitely worth it. My advice is to wait until January the 9th, go to apple.com and watch the Macworld keynote to find out Leopard release dates and details. The video will be up on the site by the 9th, and you may try coming back here and asking that wait question again.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If Apple releases a new OS shortly after you buy a new computer, you may take advantage of its Up-to-Date program to update the OS to the new version. There is a small shipping and handling charge which is an order of magnitude less than the retail price.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

My advice is to wait until January the 9th, go to apple.com and watch the Macworld keynote to find out Leopard release dates and details. The video will be up on the site by the 9th, and you may try coming back here and asking that wait question again.

I agree. There may be updated hardware in January too. I suspect they will also announce the release date of Leopard and you can judge if it's worth waiting it out.

Also remember that paying for Leopard gives you a copy that will run on any machine, whereas the one that comes with your machine can only run on that model.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Don't let the idea of upgrading the OS scare you off. Mac OS upgrades are generally very benign. With the exceptions of SW incompatibilities and one or two complete disasters, most people upgrade very easily with no problems. Saying that, I plan to wait until 10.5.1 is released before I upgrade. (Unless 10.5.1 is released a week after 10.5.0, than I will upgrade when 10.5.2 is released.)

I've been noticing amongst the recent switchers a fear about upgrading. Is upgrading Windows really that bad? I always though that the reluctance of Windows users to upgrade was due to the non-technical users being afraid that they were not smart enough to do an upgrade and that they would break their PC. But now I am wondering if Windows itself is a bear to upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee

I've been noticing amongst the recent switchers a fear about upgrading. Is upgrading Windows really that bad? I always though that the reluctance of Windows users to upgrade was due to the non-technical users being afraid that they were not smart enough to do an upgrade and that they would break their PC. But now I am wondering if Windows itself is a bear to upgrade.

The installation itself isn't hard. But a LOT of things break from one OS to the next on the Windows side. Most people who use windows just say "if it works, don't fix it".

Now we could all go off on a tangent about how Windows doesn't work. But the majority of users seem to be okay with it, so why switch?

I myself hate Windows... and would never go back to it by choice. But I know some people who don't feel the need to switch or upgrade. Quite frankly because they don't care.