Creating shapes in Photoshop CS3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone else downloaded the PS beta? I just did and I'm trying to make a rectangle using the rectangle tool. In CS2 it would create a new shape on its own layer. But when I try to do it in CS3 I get a shape path like in illustrator on the current layer. It's driving me nuts because I can't figure out how to get a regular shape on its own layer anymore!

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Has anyone else downloaded the PS beta? I just did and I'm trying to make a rectangle using the rectangle tool. In CS2 it would create a new shape on its own layer. But when I try to do it in CS3 I get a shape path like in illustrator on the current layer. It's driving me nuts because I can't figure out how to get a regular shape on its own layer anymore!

Anyone else have this problem?

when you have the rectangle shape tool selected look up at the "options" bar at the top of the screen. explore those options and you'll see that you can select what happens when you use the shape tool. you should be able to select an icon that lets you keep the shape as a path only, or a shape layer. in cs2 it was in the upper left corner of the options bar.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks alot! I totally didn't realize that feature was there. I guess they just changed the default behavior.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Thanks alot! I totally didn't realize that feature was there. I guess they just changed the default behavior.

happy to help