iMac G3 firmware problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright, I just got this iMac ... here are the specs:

Introduction DatetOctober 5, 1999\tDiscontinued DatetJuly 19, 2000

Processor TypetPowerPC 750 (G3)\tProcessor Speedt350 MHz

Processor UpgradetN/A\tFPU (Integrated)tPowerPC 750 (G3)

System Bus Speedt100 MHz\tBackside Bus Speedt140 MHz

ROM Sizet1 MB 1.\tData Patht64-bit

Level 1 Cachet64k\tLevel 2 Cachet512k (backside)

RAM Typet8ns PC100 SDRAM 3.\tVRAM TypetVideo Card (2x AGP)

Standard RAMt64 MB\tMaximum RAMt512 MB 2.

Motherboard RAMtNone\tRAM Slotst2 3.

Standard VRAMt8 MB\tMaximum VRAMt8 MB

Standard Hard Drivet6.0 GB\tInt. Hard Drive TypetIDE

Standard CD-ROMt24X (slot-loaded)\tStandard DisktNone

Standard Modemt56.6k (internal)\tStandard Ethernett10/100Base-T

Case TypetAll-in-One 4.\tForm FactortiMac "350" 4.

Exp. SlotstAirPort\tExp. Bays (Free)tNone

Battery Typet3.6V Lithium\tBattery LifetN/A

Built-in Displayt15" Color 5.\tSupported MacOSt8.6, 9.0, 9.1, X

Dimensionst15.0 x 15.0 x 17.1 6.\tAvg. Weightt34.7 lbs.

Original Pricet$999 US\tEst. Current PricetReturning Soonish

Now, here's the problem ... It came with OS 9.2.2 installed with a bunch of files messed around in different folders and what not. So, I figured the best thing to do was to do a format of the HD and a fesh install. After installing OS 9.0, I realised that there was a problem with the gamma and color balance ... and, afrter fiddling away with the controls, got them slightly fixed.

I then tried to install OS X 10.3 Panther. Here's where the problems started. I had to go back and reinstall the old System Folder on to the hard drive simply because the OS X Install CD said that the firmware had to be updated. I then went and attempted to download the firmware update from apple's website (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...75130#English). After attempting to update the firmware, the computer was not responding, so I unplugged it and restarted it.

Now, it is booting up into Mac OS 9.2.2 like it did before, only now, the screen goes blank right after it begins to startup ... the computer is unusable at this point.

Any ideas? This has been quite a project for the las few days, now I'm reaching out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    also, it has 128 megs of ram, not 64 ... and, i have figured out thus far that it will boot fine with a washed out screen, and then about 5 to 10 seconds into it, the screen will go black (off) and the computer will remain on with the green light at the botton right hand side pulsing ... other than that, the computer doesn't seem to make any noise at all, not as if it's doing any kind of internal process or anything.

any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If you unplugged the imac whilst upgrading the firmware you may have caused some rather nasty damage.

The firmware can at times on the iMac G3's take a few minutes to work. And you shouldn't stop it whilst upgrading.

I am not real sure what if anything can be done about it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    that's what i was thinking was going on ... and, what i was afraid of. it's also why i've turned to this forum for help. \

other than that, what else can i do?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ask at your local apple service center is it fixable and they should be able to let you know. Other than that I am not sure what to do as I have never had it happen.