cd error check software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi

Does anyone know if there is any way in osx to check for cd errors? I'm using waveburner to master some cd's for clients, and have just had one sent back from the plant because of disc errors. I believe that there are a number of programs on windows that will do this but would prefer to do it all on the one machine. I have a pre bootcamp g5.

thanks

Norman

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Yeah, I've asked the people who make toast to write some mac software that checks CDs for errors but it's come to nothing. On Windows, they have software that gives you detailed info about the readability of all the parts of the disc, which IMO is very useful info.

The toast software comes with a checking utility where once you burn a disc, it goes through a verify stage that checks if all the data can be read back the same as the source. Unfortunately, it doesn't give you a probability of how likely a read error would be.

Disk Utility also has a verification step.

Other things to do when burning is make sure you aren't burning too fast. For reliable burns, it's best to go to half the speed of the drive's advertised speed. This is because even though the burn is successful, what may have happened at some stage in the burn is that features like buffer underrun prevention pause the burn to let the buffer fill up. This leaves a small gap on the disc that can cause problems. Some burners are capable of reaching near zero-gap buffer underrun prevention but most don't. So it's best not to let the buffer run out in the first place by lowering the speed.

I always burn DVDs at 4x but on 16x capable ones, I will sometimes go to 8x.