Spell check for Text Edit, Mail, etc

gtgt
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems that the spell check feature for these apps is missing obvious spelling errors. Any way i can go in and confirm that these misspelled words were not added to the dictionary. Or if they were, how to remove them. Simple errors like "teh" are not being picked up.

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hmmm... works fr me. I get Teh flagged up as an error. What really hacks me off though is the spellchecker insisting that I Americanise my spelling even though everything else in my OSX is UK specific (Spellchecker would have made that Americanize).

Personally I think it's great that you guys spell Aluminium as Aluminum and I'm all for you say potato and I say poTAYto etc but I'd really like to spellcheck in my own goddam version of the language!

Let's call the whole thing off?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    GT:

You might have at some time accidentally added these words to the custom dictionary. To forget the spelling of a word, choose Edit-> Spelling-> Spelling..., type the world you want to forget into the box, and click the "Forget" button.

Arbernaut:

In 10.2 you can set the spell-check to use a "British English" dictionary. Have you not tried this? I just did and it allows "Aluminium" and "colour" and several other differently spelled words just fine.

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    And, uh, ummm... how do you do that? (Brad rolls eyes wondering about the mental competence of the British)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Arbernaut:

<strong>And, uh, ummm... how do you do that? (Brad rolls eyes wondering about the mental competence of the British) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Select some text, ctrl-click to bring up the contextual menu, select Spelling -&gt; Spelling..., and choose British English from the Dictionary menu.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Heehee, thank you Belle.

ALternatively, you can choose the same "Spelling..." item from the Edit menu.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Hmmm... obvious when pointed out like that, but I still think it would make more sense if when I specified the Date, Time, Numbers and Keyboard layout to be UK the OS would have the sense to think maybe - just maybe - the dictionary should be British as well! A bit poor, really.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member

<strong>Hmmm... obvious when pointed out like that, but I still think it would make more sense if when I specified the Date, Time, Numbers and Keyboard layout to be UK the OS would have the sense to think maybe - just maybe - the dictionary should be British as well! A bit poor, really.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Absolutely. It really should be in the "International" section of System Preferences.

Send Apple <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/"; target="_blank">feedback</a>!
  • Reply 8 of 8

<strong>What really hacks me off though is the spellchecker insisting that I Americanise my spelling even though everything else in my OSX is UK specific (Spellchecker would have made that Americanize).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Spellchecker would be right then. Well actually it is a grey (gray?) area but the current trend in British English is for -ize to be preferred in most cases where you have the choice. It is not an Americanism: see <a href="http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/ize"; target="_blank">here</a>