The TV Thread

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
1) Favorite Current TV Shows

2) Favorite TV Shows (All-Time)

3) Least Favorite TV Shows

I can't believe how many awful TV shows there are these days, and I don't even have cable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    1) Heroes, so far it has a great story and I find it intriguing.

2) Arrested Development, amazingly funny writing AND acting. A great combination, I'm said it was cancelled

3) Reality shows, they've overstayed their welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I can't believe how many awful TV shows there are these days, and I don't even have cable.

1. I don't have cable anymore either. If I do watch current stuff it's on DVD or er, other means (they're listed below). So I'll skip #1.

2. Three Stooges , Astroboy, Marine Boy, Speed Racer, Ultraman, Batman, Wild, Wild West, Star Trek, The Prisoner, Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, Space 1999, Rockford Files, Crime Story, Miami Vice, Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood & Daily Show.

3. Any with commercials.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

1. I don't have cable anymore either. If I do watch current stuff it's on DVD or er, other means (they're listed below). So I'll skip #1.

2. Three Stooges , Astroboy, Marine Boy, Speed Racer, Ultraman, Batman, Wild, Wild West, Star Trek, The Prisoner, Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, Space 1999, Rockford Files, Crime Story, Miami Vice, Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood & Daily Show.

3. Any with commercials.

Ew. ER is terrible. It used to be ok, but now it is just terrible. If you are going to watch a Doctor show, watch Grey's Anatomy. It's fresh enough to still be good. All doctor shows go to hell, and I'm sure grey's will too.

I used to watch the apprentice, mainly because I'm interested in business, but because I cared about who was comeover's new poster boy. The apprentice sucks now as well.

I really don't see how producers think they can just switch the city a show takes place in and make it good. I didn't really like CSI to begin with, but common, CSI Miami, CSI NY... It's all terrible. Now they have The Apprentice LA. Common. I'm sure someone could come up with a show people will actually watch.

Anyways, some of my favorites include:

1) Simpsons

2) Family Guy

3) Grey's
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

I really don't see how producers think they can just switch the city a show takes place in and make it good. I didn't really like CSI to begin with, but common, CSI Miami, CSI NY... It's all terrible. Now they have The Apprentice LA. Common. I'm sure someone could come up with a show people will actually watch.

I try to avoid any show that has doctors, lawyers and police. And reality TV? I'll take a good documentary, thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

I try to avoid any show that has doctors, lawyers and police. And reality TV? I'll take a good documentary, thank you.

Good and documentary don't go together either usually. You want something that is interesting and informative, watch something like 20/20. True it might not be quite as in depth, but its also more entertaining.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    1)

Standoff

Prison Break

The Office

The Simpsons

2)

Firefly

Futurama

Seinfeld

Friends
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

1)

Standoff

Prison Break

The Office

The Simpsons

2)

Firefly

Futurama

Seinfeld

Friends

Both very good.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

BSG. Lost. Rome. Sopranos. Weeds. Monk. The 4400.

Quote:

Northern Exposure. The West Wing. Buffy. Firefly (although I didn't get to it until after it was over). TNG. MASH.

Quote:

Survivor. Idiots Guessing Numbers (or whatever it's called). All the reality TV shows.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Kill your television.

1. 24, BSG, Top Chef

2. BSG (1st and 2nd seasons are [for the genre] works of pure, unadulterated, paradigm-shifting, unapproachable genius) , Firefly, STOS, The Office (no, not the visual effluent of the sub-sub American imitator), Good Neighbors, All Creatures Great and Small , Farscape

3. The Office (the sub-sub American imitator), Alias, Lost (the plot in the third episode of the 2nd season)
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Good and documentary don't go together either usually. You want something that is interesting and informative, watch something like 20/20. True it might not be quite as in depth, but its also more entertaining.

Sarcasm? 20/20 That's the National Inquirer of journalism.

How about PBS. Frontline, Nova, and American Experience.

BBC programs?

Channel 4?

And why don't many cable providers in the USA carry CBC?

Honestly, American commercial television sucks. Really does. \

And now with many broadcasters providing their content to be viewed online, it justs gets better.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Sarcasm? 20/20 That's the National Inquirer of journalism.

How about PBS. Frontline, Nova, and American Experience.

BBC programs?

Channel 4?

And why don't many cable providers in the USA carry CBC?

Honestly, American commercial television sucks. Really does. \

And now with many broadcasters providing their content to be viewed online, it justs gets better.

Yes, Sarcasm. Can't say I like documentaries though.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

3. The Office (the sub-sub American imitator), Alias, Lost (the plot in the third episode of the 2nd season)

The Office is awesome.

Of course I get more out of it being a former Scranton resident. (That "Lazy Scranton" song lol.. hilarious)
  • Reply 13 of 18
    1. The Shield

2. Seinfeld

3. All the shitty game shows that have recently sprung up, like Deal or No Deal, Identity, etc...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    1. Scrubs - I laugh at that one.

2. M*A*S*H and Miami Vice

3. Anything that claims to be a "reality" show ... do you really believe they're NOT scripted ???
  • Reply 15 of 18
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    1. BSG, Heroes, Dr. Who, Dirty Jobs, Lost (losing interest quickly though), any show with Rachel Ray!

2. Firefly, Futurama, Samurai Jack, Cheers, MASH, Family Ties (yeah, I grew up in the 80's! )

3. Reality TV, Medical Dramas (WAY over saturated now, ER was good in it's day)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    1. BSG

2. Heroes

3. Lost

4. Bones

5. Project Runway

6. The Colbert Report

1. BSG

2. ST: DS9

3. Homicide: Life on the Street

4. Millenium

5. Twin Peaks

Any of the new game shows with the Ritalin inducing light shows and Ritalin needing contestants. And that Nancy Grace chick.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Oh man, I forgot about Homicide! That's in my all-time favorites.
  • Reply 18 of 18

Current:

South Park

BSG

Daily Show

Colbert Report

Nova

Imus

All Time:

Seinfeld

South Park

Twilight Zone

The Prisoner

Star Trek TNG

Least Favorite:

Infomercials! (they should be banned from the airwaves)

Reality shows

Game shows

Most sit-coms

Most drama shows